Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

my intel mac desktop has suddenly taken up starting and rest

Customer Question

my intel mac desktop has suddenly taken up starting and restarting spontaneously....
is there something I can do for this quickly... have work in it I need to complete and turn in..

thx
Dania

your thingy says you will notify me by email... but you don't have it...
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Try inserting the gray restore disc (or any Mac OS install disc) that came with your Mac into the disc drive, then restarting while holding down the C key on your keyboard. This should boot you to the disc.

Once that's loaded, click the Tools menu at the top of the screen, and select the Disk Utility option. Once it's open, run the Repair Permissions and Repair Disk options.

If those complete without any errors, quit Disk Utility, and restart the machine like normal. Let me know if this is successful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jesse- sorry I didn't get back last night... had had enough of struggling with it... I put in the
disk but then crashed again. Crashes almost immediately after the window comes up
was able to get into Test account but then immediately crashed again. Is there a way to force it to boot
from the disk before that, and is there a way to get the disk player to open without going through the
desktop?
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Try restarting while holding either the Option key, or the X key. Let me know if either works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope... got to window with drive startup choice, between main drive and edrive.. which unfortunately needed to be changed to sno leopard compatible and hasn't been yet, and just quit. that was with the
option key. Nothing at all with the x. and it seems to be getting worse.. sometimes just sits there and
sounds like a drive that is dying... maybe that's the case but why should it start sometimes and not others?
very frustrating.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
If it was just the hard drive, you'd be having different problems. It's more than likely a faulty power supply that will need to be replaced.

The last thing to try before taking it in to an Apple certified repair shop, is to restart while holding the P+R+Option+Command keys. Hold those together for 3 full restarts, then releease and see what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok will do and get right back to you...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope ... didn't work. guess it's off to the apple repair.... damn.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes that's the way it goes, sorry. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for trying.... these things happen...
happy day-
dj
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have added bonus... from 18 to 23... was going to add a comment as well, but page quit and I haven't been
able to get back to it..
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much, good luck, and let me know if I can assist further!