Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I recently upgraded my mac to 10.5.8. I can no longer use

Customer Question

I recently upgraded my mac to 10.5.8. I can no longer use the scanner on my hppsc all-in-one series printer. I just downloaded the 9.7 version. No change. Please advise. The printer reads " No Scan Options. Install or run device for software for feature." Please advise.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
Can you tell me the model number of the all-in-one printer please?
Is the 9.7 version for 10.5?
Have you tried resetting the printer system?
Have you tried to restart?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have you found out what the problem is? Were you able to read my response?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No, I have not been able to see your response.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the model # XXXXX XXXXX MY56RD12HX or Q5584A. I have downloaded the 9.7 on the printer and I have upgraded to a 10.5 Mac. I cannot scan. The printer message is "no scan options. Install or run device for software for feature". The printer scanned well until I upgraded to a 10.5. Do I need to download something?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I think what you need to do is reset your print system, is also resets attached scanner software.
To do that, open System Preferences/Print & Fax and right click in the print list and select Reset Print System.
You will have to re-add the printer to your system and your scanner should now work.
However, that is not a guarantee. You may have to totally uninstall any and all drivers and software for that printer/scanner and reinstall everything.
You will also have to re-add the printer after you do that.
Give that a try and let me know how you do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a "reset print system" button. Can you tell me where to find it? I found the Print & Fax but that did not bring up anyway to reset the system. It keeps telling me to install or run a device. Anything I can download?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
First open System Preferences/Print & Fax.
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
There is all the information necessary for resetting and adding the printer.
Give it a try but look at them carefully.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was able to remove the printer from the list but unable to add it back! Now what do I do?! thank you for the lovely video. I hope you are still helping me.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
The last image tells how to add the printer in, it does however have to appear in the list.
If it does not appear in the list then either a, it is not connected or b, it is turned off or c, there is a communications problem.
Yes, I am indeed still helping you.
Look over the images one more time, I think you'll find the information you need.
If you have trouble let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the HP10 trap monitor quit when I tried to use the original disc. also HP communication not running. Crashed.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
The discs that came with the printer rarely work.
I recommend going to the HP website typing in your model number and downloading the newest drivers for your MacOS X.
I also recommend using the uninstaller to completely eradicate the old software.
Before you attempt to do a software installation or a printer addition I suggest you repair the permissions, this is done with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities, it looks like this.
graphic
Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you said and the set up failed. "Setup assistant could not configure the device. Make sure the device is connected. My firefox is also down. also I am using an airport extreme. Could that be the problem?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
The printer is connected to the Airport extreme?
I also use an Airport extreme and have printers hooked into that.
Are you using the machine that you're trying to print from now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry but I could not get it to work. I am getting help elsewhere.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Sorry. If you're not going to reply please don't.