Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I have an old iMac with Disc Burner 1.0.2 Trying to burn

Customer Question

I have an old iMac with Disc Burner 1.0.2

Trying to burn files onto a CD, I get error message saying
Target Device Error 7293

where can you find an index of what these error messages mean?

I can see that, trying 3 different CDs, the burner would ultimately
reach the same point.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm here to help.

It's difficult to say what the error is specifically referring to, as Apple does not provide public listings of error codes.

Try burning a disc through iTunes,and see if an error pops up. That will let you know whether it's a hardware or software issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried that. Got an error message that says: CD burner failed because an unknown error occurred -7932

There are any number of possibilities. How does one check out the CD burner, or its software aspects?
I'm no further along if I can't figure that out.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
What version of Mac OS are you running on the computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The OS is 9.2. It says it has a total of 256MB of memory with 212 still unused. I think it runs at 600mhz.
The copyright date is as recent as 2001. I can't remember if we bought it in 2002 or 2003. Still a heck of a good machine.

It is frustrating to not be able to figure out what the deal with the CD burner is.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
With a machine that old, and error messages coming from multiple applications, it's likely that the optical drive has failed. I would recommend purchasing an external burner, as opposed to replacing the internal drive, but it's doubtful you'll be able to find a burner compatible with Mac OS 9.