loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

I have Boot Camp and Windows XP on a MacBookPro. I can use

Customer Question

I have Boot Camp and Windows XP on a MacBookPro. I can use that part fine. I want to get onto the internet. I use wireless Airport and those connections seem to be working, as I see the "time used" changing but no packets are coming across. When I boot up Windows Explorer I am unable to connect. When I go to WE "preferences" or "get info", i can't remember which, it says "no connection", so it is not recognizing my working LAN.
I have had my computer 2.5 years and have not been able to connect to internet on Boot Camp side. Groan. Internet works fine on Mac side. Can anyone help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. While in Windows XP, go to Start->Run and type cmd then press Enter. This should take you to a black DOS screen. Type this command and press Enter:
ipconfig /all

Please post results of the previous command. Next, open Network Connections. Please tell me what icons you see in this window. If you have one called Local Area Connection, right-click on this icon, then choose properties. Please tell me what you have in this list. Hopefully, toward the bottom, if you scroll downward, you should have one called Internet Protocol. If so, double-click on this icon and tell me which options have a bullet next to them.

Thanks and regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you John. I did as you requested.
1. After entering: ipconfig/all Results: C:\Docum,ents and Settings\Owner>
2. Network connections - Icons -
"Status connected" - (I have always been able to get this to work) Duration timeis moving and speed is 400.0 Mbps but there is no packet movemet - PACKETS ARE AT ZERO!
3. Local connection area: (there is not right click on a Mac) All the following are checked:
Client for Microsoft Networds
Service Advertising Protocol
File ad printer sharing for Microsoft networks
Network Moitor Driver
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
4. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
GENERAL:
Checked: Obtain an IP address automatically
Not checked: Use the following IP address
Checked: Obtain DNS server address automatically
Not checked: Use the following DNS server address
ALTERNATE CONFIGURATION
Checked: Automatic private IP address
Not checked: User configured
Thank you,
Sandi Haverstadt
Hi and thanks for the info Sandi. Just for your information, you can use two-button mice with the Mac so the right-click will work if you have such a mouse or the Apple Might Mouse or Apple Mouse Extreme. Sounds like you have the single button mouse. For this, you can control+click to bring up the attributes menu. What we need to do next is verify that Windows is able to see the wireless card that your Mac uses. On your desktop while in Windows, control+click on My Computer and click Properties. Choose the Hardware tab, then click on the button Device Manager. Under Network Adapters, please tell me what you see.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
John: I could not even do the first step. My Computer is an icon on the desktop. When control + click on My Computer nothing happens. I cannot get to Properties.
I have set up a secomd mac computer so I can reply to you and the other I will keep in Boot Camp Windows XP so I can do what you say quicker.
What next?
Thanks Sandi Halverstadt
Hi Sandi. Try using a combination of holding down the control button, then clicking on the icon. If that doesn't work, try holding down the command button, then clicking on the icon. Let me know if either works.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to do that but it did not work. Where are we trying to get to? Can I do a "find" and get there?
Sandi
What kind of mouse are you using?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am on a lap top MacBookPro. Using my finger on flat surface.
Do you have a mouse you can try?

Regards,
Any mouse that's USB should work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I attached a mouse. Sorry, I did not know I needed one. I did as you suggested. Under Network Adapters I see "1394 Net Adapter #2"
Do you see anything else besides the 1394 adapter? If not, you will need to create a new network connection by clicking on "Add a new connection" and follow the steps to create a new connection. Still need you to go into Device Manager and tell me what Windows XP sees for Network Adapters when you can please.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I go into Divice Manager Windows XP sees Network Adapters and sub title of 1394 Net Adapter #2 - there is nothing else listed.
There is also "Other Devices" - one of which is Network controller - Location : PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 11, device 0, function 9
Device status: The drivers for the divice are not installed (Code 28) To install the drivers for this devicem click Reinstall driver. - There is a button to reinstall driver. I don't kow if "Other Devices" is pertinent to my problem or not.
Sandi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What next?
It sounds like Windows is not automatically installing the necessary drivers for your Airport - the wireless card your Mac uses. I'm going to open it up for other Experts to assist as it's getting late here.

Good luck,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Airport seems to be working because the status of the Lan says: "Connected", but there are no packets going back and forth. If the Airport was not working then "Windows would not report "Connected". I think the problem is in the settings of Windows XP or Microsoft Explorer, but what do I know.
How do we get someone else to help?
Thanks, Get some sleep. I appreciate your trying.
Sandi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is fine. Thanks for your help
Sandi
Hi Sandi. Ok, what I'd like you to do is to find your Mac install disk and insert the installation disc. On this disc, there are the updated drivers for Windows to use. What you'll want to do next is open Network Settings, then right-click your wireless card (Atheros or something similar) and choose Properties. Select the General tab at the top. Select Configure on the right at the top. In the new window, select the Driver tab. Select update driver. Select install manually and point to the install disc folder as the place to pull the drivers from. If you can't locate the drivers from the disk or it fails to find a suitable driver, you can try the one from this website:
http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/292737/atheros-ar5xxx-ar9xxx-series-wireless-network-diver-7.7.0.329-windows-xp(x32-x64)-free-download.html

Since your Windows BootCamp doesn't currently have network, you may need to get on the other computer and insert a flash drive to copy the drivers off to it, then unplug and insert into the Mac to offload the drivers.

Please let me know if my instructions were murky or if you just require additional assistance.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John: Do I put the Leopard operating system disc that came with the MacBookPro lap top, or do I use the Snow Leopard system disc? I believe that Boot Camp came with the original Leopard OS?
The things that I have noticed since we last wrote last night,when I tried to repair the connection, an error message came up: ""failed to query TC/IP". I have gone back and forth with setting and resetting the TC/IP parameters with no luck. When I look at the TC/IP on the Windows side, all parameters say "unavailable". So whatever allows the Mac side to give the TC/IP info to the Windows side, is not getting through. Also, what does "netbios over TCP/IP" mean, and does it matter.
Let me know what disc to put in. Leopard, or Snow Leopard?
Thanks, Sandi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before we start putting in operating system discs, I found this on the internet. Would you read it first and see if there is something we can do using this information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Presently on the Mac side my TCP/IP info is: (This info allows me to get on the internet, wirelessly, on my MacBookPro without a problem.
IPv4 address 10.0.1.3
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Router 10.0.1.1
Config IPv6 - Automatic
DS Servers 10.0.1.1
Wildblue.com
Netbios MACKOOKPRO-619A
WINS SERVERS 127.0.0.1
BYPASS PROXY SETTINGS
*local, 169.254/16
Passive FTP mode (PASV)
Ethernet ID 00:23:12:1d:83:7A
Config - Auto
Airport ID 00.23:12:1s:8e:7A

Somewhere I found that the Gateway number is: 196.254.113.137 but I don't remember how I got that info. It is not readily visible in the TC/IP info. Where should that number appear and should it appear on both sides? It does not seem to be. I found it on the Windows side only.

These are also the settings used on the Windows side. Shouldn't the Windows side have a gateway setting.

Also, is there some button to click that tells the computer to share the internet? Should that be set on both sides? One side? At all?

Also, should I be using DCHP? The LAN is still connected on the Windows side. The problem seems to be on the Windows side, not the Mac side.

ON the subject of Netbios - should we check to make sure the settings are the same on both sides.

I will set up my Mac G5 so I can answer you quicker, and keep my MacBookPro on the Windows side. I am sure you will figure this out. I get glimpses, but do not have enough knowledge to get a whole picture of how this all works.

Sandi
Hi Sandi. First, I applaud you for actually wanting to know these things. Most people just assume. While it is true that the Windows side should have all of the settings for gateway, DNS, etc., it should "Obtain an IP address automatically" along with DNS, gateway and network mask. It seems that, based on the information you've provided, the Windows side is getting a "legitimate" IP address. Can you please open Control Panel, double-click Windows Firewall and verify it's set to off? Also, while we're at it, if you're running any sort of anti-virus software, would you please temporarily disable it while we're troubleshooting network connectivity issues? I've seen plenty of times in the past where both anti-virus and Windows firewall prevented folks from gaining network connectivity. Also, let's try another command from Windows side using the DOS prompt:

tracert www.google.com

Please provide results of this command when possible.

Regards,