Alan_Ramos
Alan_Ramos, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple ACMT Certified and GSX enabled - 19+ years experience.
35527581

How do I connect a Mac Pro 15 Laptop to an Apple Cinema Display

How do I connect a Mac Pro 15" Laptop to an Apple Cinema Display Model # XXXXX?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Alan_Ramos replied 6 years ago.

If this is one of the clear acrylic style Cinema Displays with the rounded connector (ADC) you will need the older converter to supply power to the display. The old systems that originally supported this display had enough power through their video card connection that doesn't exist anymore in new systems.

In the past I used to use a product from Dr. Bott which is called the DVIator. It allows use of the old ADC display and outputs to DVI- check this site to make sure you have the right connection. The price is steep but if you really want to use that display this is an option.

Apple also used to sell a product that did the same thing but if I remember correctly the unit was more expensive. Take a look and let us know if you've tried this product.

http://www.dviator.com/us/DVIator.html
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is the clear acrylic display. I don't know what DVI is. Is it a type of input recepticle on the Mac Pro?
The DVI connector is what most Macbook Pros up to but not including the newest systems that come with a Mini-display port built in. The DVI connector is rectangular in shape as opposed to the oblong ADC connection. Mac Pro towers also used DVI connections with video cards that fit into the PCIe slot which also got an upgrade to include the Mini-display port. If you have a laptop with a Mini-Display port built in you'll need to adapt the DVI to the Mini-Display port AFTER you convert from ADC to DVI.

I know this might seem confusing- Apple has kept us all on our toes with the constant changes to otherwise standard connections on other systems. In the page I referred to there is a picture of a DVI and ADC adapter to match against. The laptop would need to either plug directly from the rectangular plug of the DVI or use a small adapter for connection of DVI to Mini-Display port. How new is your Macbook Pro?

Edited by Alan_Ramos on 5/1/2010 at 5:21 PM EST