loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

All of a sudden my rocstor wont show up on my screen. Ive

Customer Question

All of a sudden my rocstor won't show up on my screen. I've tried to rehook, unplugging everything, turning computer off and on and still no luck, What do you suggest?
I have a mac and bought this at the Mac store in Indio, CA
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm John. As I and other Experts work on your question, it
would help to know the following:

* What version of OS X are you using? To obtain this information, click on the
Apple icon at top left, then choose About This Mac from the menu. The numbers to
the right of Version is what I'm looking for.
* What is the model of rocstor you have?
* When you were able to successfully use the rocstore device before, did you click on the eject symbol before unplugging the device?

Thank you for trusting us with your question. Answering these questions will help us help you more effectively and will ensure a quality solution for you so please be as thorough and descriptive as possible.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.5.8
Rockport 9cx. Is this what you are asking for?

Yes, successfully used it before.

Yesterday I dumped a lot of files as my AOL kept crashing or the wheel spinning overtime. Running very slow. Today I don't have that problem but now I don't have my Rocstor. It is getting warm now, do you suppose it's going to behave itself in the near future?

No, didn't know there is an eject symbol.
Thanks for the information. Well, any time you plug an external storage device into your Mac, you will have an extra icon appear in your Finder (at top left just under the Macintosh HD icon) where you can click on the device to browse the contents of it, just like you can for your Macintosh HD icon. So that you're not confusing the Mac, you need to click the Eject button next to the icon that appears for your Rocstor storage device so that the Mac knows you are about to sever the connection between it and the Mac. In geek speak - when clicking the eject button, you're unmounting the volume, also known as the Rocstor device.

After time, I've seen folks that consistently do not click the eject button (before unplugging the firewire cable to their external storage device) have problems getting the device to show up in Finder again.

Depending on whether you're using a USB or Firewire cable to connect your Mac to the Rocstor, it's been said that one of the USB ports on Macs actually provides more power to the external device over the others. So, if you've plugged the Rocstor into one of the USB ports and it doesn't show up, unplug it, then plug it into a different USB port.

Lastly, if none of this works, you can try unplugging the Rocstor and performing repair disk in Disk Utility, reboot your computer, then plug the Rocstor back into the Mac. Here are the steps for this procedure:

Repairing Disk Permissions
------------------------------------

1) Close any/all applications, programs, etc.

2) Open the Disk Utility by selecting Applications -> Utilities -> and then Disk Utility

3) From the left pane toward the top, select Macintosh HD (or whatever name you've called it if changed from default)

4) From the right pane toward the bottom, select the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Once complete, reboot your Mac.

Note: This process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so. Things that can affect the time it takes Repair Disk Permissions to complete:

* Whether you've run Repair Disk Permissions or not
* How fast your computer is

From my experience, I've seen this utility fix all sorts of issues - anywhere from Applications/Utilities not launching or responding to Mac computers not booting properly. Because of this, I recommend you do this once every couple of months and any time you perform an Apple Software Update.

For future reference, here is a screenshot of my Finder with an external hard drive plugged in. You should see something similar to yours.

graphic

If you'll notice, at the top left, I have two storage devices. The one that came with the Mac which is the internal hard drive called Macintosh HD. The one directly beneath it is 2TB which is an external storage device connected via USB. Directly to the right of 2TB is an eject symbol. If I were to take my laptop elsewhere, I would click this eject button before disconnecting the external storage device and the Mac would know to unmount this volume and gracefully sever the connection.

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,

Edited by loadedmind on 5/1/2010 at 4:19 PM EST
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
john: I have saved your information. Now I'll print it. Do I need to turn off my Mac in order to do this? If so, how do I find my way back to you?
No, you won't need to turn your Mac off to perform the disk repair procedure, but you will want to restart your Mac upon completion. Click the Apple icon at top left, then choose Restart after Repair Disk Permissions finishes.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I did as you suggested but I still don't see the icon. Nor is the blue light flashing on rocstor. What now?
What were the results of repairing disk permissions? Did it say it corrected anything? Approximately how long did it take before it finished?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It said it corrected. There were several other things I could have clicked on to but you didn't say to do it so I was afraid to do it! It took about 15-20 minutes.
Connecting via firewire or USB?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't know which it is. It's silver. Does that help? I think I have a firewire here someplace. Should I try that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oops, it disappeared just now
Yes, whatever type of plug you have now, replace it with the other kind if you have one and see whether this has any impact on the problem. For your reference, here are pics of what a firewire and USB look like:

Firewire:
http://www.smelectronics.com/images/Firewire.jpg

USB:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/USB_types_2.jpg

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you receive my post that the icon disappeared?
Yes, did you get my last answer?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'll have to go get one will be back in touch
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
John, should I go and buy another wire? What is it called?
Do you not have either one? Currently, why are you using to connect the device?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John: Back from my appointment. i was using a silver wire originally until today when you mentioned the firewire. I had one fortunately. I plugged that into my computer and Rocstor and it worked for about 15 minutes. The Rockstor is still warm but that's about all. No mention of it on my screen or when I click on "find" so there is no longer a disconnect. The Rocstor is also quite warm and the blue light is no longer flashing. Is that normal. What do you suggest I try now?
I believe the blue light is only lit when there is hard drive activity. Meaning, you won't see anything until you access the hard drive.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think I have a defective unit? Or ??
What should I do now? I'm clueless.
How long have you had this device? I'd like you to also try a special USB cable that has two rectangular-shaped connectors that both plug into the Mac, then the other connector plugs into the rocstor device. You should be able to contact Rocstor, explain to them what you're seeing and that you believe the Rocstor device is not getting sufficient power based on what your tech friend says. They should be able to accommodate your request. If not, let me know.

Edited by loadedmind on 5/2/2010 at 2:48 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI John:
I just read your suggeestion about contacting Rocstor and getting another cable. I'll do that today or tomorrow depending on if they are working on Sunday. Then I'll be back in touch. Thanks, Barbara
Ok, cool. Please let me know how this turns out when you can.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John:

I tried to purchase the cable you suggested but they didn't have one. This was at Office Max. The salesman hooked up the Rocstor to another computer and listened to it and said the clicking indicated the harddrive was bad. He said it was doubtful if the data could be transferred to another hard drive saying if it could it might cost
1,000. Then he sent me next door to Best Buy, Geek Squad, and the person checked it out and said it seemed to be working fine. He used the firewire. I was hesitant after hearing two opposing views, to bring it back home and so I purchased another harddrive and he is transferring all my data on to it for $100. I'll pick it up in an hour or so. Thanks so much for your patient assistance. Regards, Barbara
Hi Barbara,

So glad to hear everything worked out ok for you. Without being able to hear it first-hand, it's tough to say who might have been right here. However, I can tell you that a certain amount of clicking coming from a hard drive is perfectly normal - especially if the hard drive is a 2.5" vs a 3.5". Again, real happy of the outcome. Your data was saved and that's the most important thing. Take care and let me know if there's anything I can do for you in the future.

Regards,