Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

Hi my hard drive says it is nearly empty and ive trashed everything

Hi my hard drive says it is nearly empty and ive trashed everything almost and it still says the same thing. ive emptied trash and i swear it keeps getting smaller gb available with out doing anything..any ideas Mac 10.5.8
Hello, and welcome to!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

First, try opening Disk Utility from your Applications->Utilities folder, and running the Repair Disk Permissions option. Then, restart while holding the Option key on your keyboard.

Once it's rebooted, open a new Finder window (click the smiley face icon on the left side of your dock), and see what the available space is at the center bottom of the window.

Let me know if that doesn't solve the problem, or if there's anything else I can assist you with.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok. i did that it says 157.88 available on the finder menu but says .88 below the desktop HD picture/button. Also Can Macs really not get viruses?
Sorry, I meant to say restart while holding the Shift key on your keyboard. Do that and see what happens.

Macs can get viruses, but only viruses specifically designed for Macs (which are rare, if any at all). Viruses are simply malicious pieces of software, and Windows software can't run on Macs, so Macs are immune to them.

Also, viruses are very difficult to create for a Mac, and easy to get rid of should they ever be installed. I have personally be working with and on Macs for nearly 2 decades, and never seen a Mac with a virus.

It is possible, but very, very rare, and easy to fix should it happen.