loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

I have a Powerbook G4. The sound has gone completely from

Customer Question

I have a Powerbook G4. The sound has gone completely from internal speakers and headphones. The internal mic also doesn't work. HELP!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm John. As I and other Experts work on your question, it
would help to know the following:

What version of OS X are you using? To obtain this information, click on the
Apple icon at top left, then choose About This Mac from the menu. The numbers to
the right of Version is what I'm looking for.

There are a few things we can try to rule out certain problematic areas on your Mac. The first thing we'll try is to create a new user account to verify whether the problem is related to your existing user's profile or not. Here's the instructions for creating the new user account:

Create new test user account
----------------------------

1) Open System Preferences (Finder -> Applications -> System Preferences

2) Click Accounts

3) If the LOCK icon at bottom left is shown as being Locked, click the icon to unlock it. When prompted, enter your password XXXXX allow changes to be made in this screen. If the LOCK icon is already unlocked, proceed to step 4

4) Click the "+" symbol at the bottom left to create a new user account. You can name the account anything you wish as this is just a test. Ensure the top dropdown is set to Administrator instead of Standard

5) Set the password XXXXX whatever you like and enter it in Verify password XXXXX as well

6) Select "Allow user to administer this computer."

7) Lastly, select Create Account to finish the account creation process

You'll need to log out of your existing user account and log back in as the newly created user account when finished. To do this, click the Apple icon at top left, then choose Log Out from the dropdown menu. You'll see a username/password XXXXX Type in the new user account's credentials, then test sound.

If you still don't hear any sound while logged in as the new user, we'll want to reset PRAM/NVRAM by following these steps:

Resetting PRAM & NVRAM
-----------------------------------

1) Shut down the computer (Click Apple icon, choose Shutdown)

2) Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You
will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4

3) Turn on the computer

4) Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key
combination before the gray screen appears

5) Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound
for the second time

6) Release the keys

Your computer will boot normally and you should try testing sound again to see whether this resolves the issue.

If you're still unable to hear sound and you've ensured that the volume is turned up on your Mac, please open Console (Finder->Applications->Utilities->Console) and, on the left pane, find system.log and click on it. In the right pane, look for anything relevant to Audio or Sound and copy/paste into your reply here please.

Thank you for trusting us with your question. Answering these questions will help us help you more effectively and will ensure a quality solution for you so please be as thorough and descriptive as possible.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried - "Command, Option, P, and R " twice - computer didn't boot.

Info from console

May 1 04:59:14 renee-kaplowitzs-powerbook-g4-17 kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2703 goto Exit
May 1 04:59:14 renee-kaplowitzs-powerbook-g4-17 kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 3014 goto AttemptToRetry
May 1 04:59:14 renee-kaplowitzs-powerbook-g4-17 kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2785 goto Exit

May 1 08:29:34 localhost kernel[0]: "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2703 goto Exit
May 1 08:29:34 localhost kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 3014 goto AttemptToRetry
May 1 08:29:33 localhost usbmuxd[34]: usbmuxd-190 built for iTunesNineOne on Mar 8 2010 at 20:25:35, running 32 bit
May 1 08:29:34 localhost kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2703 goto Exit

May 1 08:39:43 renee-kaplowitzs-powerbook-g4-17 kernel[0]: ^PSound assertion "0 != err" failed in "AppleLegacyAudio/AppleTexas2Audio/AppleTexas2Audio.cpp" at line 2703 goto Exit

May 1 09:33:12 renee-kaplowitzs-powerbook-g4-17 launchd: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/fax, sleeping

Thanks for the output from Console. The computer will have to boot after performing the NVRAM reset. To verify you're doing this right, first turn the computer off. Then, right after you press the power button to bring the computer back up, press and hold the command option p and r buttons on your keyboard until you hear the second chime. Are you getting this far?

Also, you never responded with which version of OS X you're running. I need this when you can please.

Regards,

Edited by loadedmind on 5/1/2010 at 4:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OX 10.4.11

as stated in initial question there has been no start up chime since the onset of the problem

when I follow directions as stated in your answer the computer does not boot, i can hear a soft click and whirring sound but the screen stays black until I lift my fingers from keys thenit boots as usual except for the lack of start up chime.
Ok, sounds like your sound could be disconnected internally. Without the chime, what you should see is that your computer will come to a gray screen, go blank and, while still holding down the keys, come to a gray screen and go black. At that second time, you should be able to let go and allow your Mac to boot normally.

Since you're at an older version of Tiger, I would highly suggest you also perform a Software Update to get your Mac running the latest version of Tiger. Click the Apple icon at top left, then choose Software Update and follow the prompts. Once Software Update completes, it's adviseable to run Repair Disk Permissions. Here are the steps for this procedure:

Repairing Disk Permissions
------------------------------------

1) Close any/all applications, programs, etc.

2) Open the Disk Utility by selecting Applications -> Utilities -> and then Disk Utility

3) From the left pane toward the top, select Macintosh HD (or whatever name you've called it if changed from default)

4) From the right pane toward the bottom, select the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Once complete, reboot your Mac.

Note: This process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so. Things that can affect the time it takes Repair Disk Permissions to complete:

* Whether you've run Repair Disk Permissions or not
* How fast your computer is

From my experience, I've seen this utility fix all sorts of issues - anywhere from Applications/Utilities not launching or responding to Mac computers not booting properly. Because of this, I recommend you do this once every couple of months and any time you perform an Apple Software Update.

Regards,

Edited by loadedmind on 5/1/2010 at 4:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
"...without the chime, what you should see is that your computer will come to a gray screen, go blank and, while still holding down the keys, come to a gray screen and go black. At that second time, you should be able to let go and allow your Mac to boot normally." This is not what happens. The screen stays black until I let go of the keys.

"...Ok, sounds like your sound could be disconnected internally." does this mean that I need to take it in for repair?

"...From my experience, I've seen this utility fix all sorts of issues - anywhere from Applications/Utilities not launching or responding to Mac computers not booting properly." no mention of sound problems among these fixes.

I'll have to try this later. I've run out of time for now.

Ok, and yes, I've seen repairing disk permissions fix hardware, but, more especially, software updates have been known to resolve issues because, in some updates, firmware is affected which is directly related to sound. Please try and let me know of your results when time allows.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
completed repairing disk permissions as you instructed, it took less than one minute. still did not boot as you described, still no sound.

is there a later version of tiger? my software update did not list one

have you seen this problem before? it is not a new problem. an online forum had several people with this problem on their Powerbook G4's. there were however no solutions listed.
Hi and thanks for the added info. Yes, I've seen this problem before - hence the recommendations for resetting the PRAM/NVRAM which were known to fix a lot of folks' sound issues. At this point, I'm going to Opt Out in the event other Experts have something more for you. If I were in your shoes, I would take this Mac to a local authorized Apple service center.

Best of luck,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.