Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have an HP Laserjet P1006, MAC with OS X, and an airport

Customer Question

I have an HP Laserjet P1006, MAC with OS X, and an airport extreme. When the printer is connected directly to the computer it works fine. When connected to the airport extreme base station the printer does not work. The job is loaded into the que and shows it is printing. The orange alert light flashes on the printer and then nothing happens. I eventually cancel the job and cycle the power on the printer. I have a PC connected to the network and the printer works fine from that computer.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had the latest driver, but I downloaded again. No change to the problem.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
By “I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer” you mean you deleted it from Print & Fax and added it back again?

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mac OS X Version 10.6.3
2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 Hz DDR3

I have downloaded current HP software and drivers. I deleted the Printer from the Print & Fax list and added it back.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Lets try resetting the printing system go to Print & Fax and right click or control left click anywhere in the print list window and choose reset Printing System. Then add the printer again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I completed as requested. The problem remains. The printer alert light flashes and the que shows the job printing. I also have an Expson printer attached to the hub. It prints fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Which Airport Express model is it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You said Express earlier. I need to know exact model because some did not support more than one printer.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Maybe you can check yourself go here:

if it is supported we are back to square one, let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Airport Extreme Model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok that one should work, please open Ulitlites/Airport Utility and tell me what shows up under the Printers tab?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Epson Stylus NX510
hp photosmart 7350
Hewlett-Packard HP Laserjet P1006

Share printers over WAN is not checked.
Share printers over the Internet using Bonjour is gray.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Do you also have the latest driver for the Epson?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I know?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Driver version 8.17
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I downloaded the driver for the Epson computer. No change. I connected the HP Laser jet to my MAC via USB and installed the printer. It prints fine as a USB printer. I put it back on the airport express. Is shows as a Bonjour device and does not print. The lights blink and the status just stays at "printing".

I will be away from my computer until no earlier than Friday night. Any more thoughts?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You mean Airport Extreme right? Try turning off the Firewall in System Preferences/Security.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I meant Airport Extreme. I checked the firewall setting and it was already set to off.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I found a possible solution, below but first make sure you have the latest firmware on the Airport Extreme

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 5/9/2010 at 1:33 AM EST