Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I have a macbook pro that I purchased for attending school

Customer Question

I have a macbook pro that I purchased for attending school at Devry. Devry only uses Windows 7 and does give free downloads for Windows 7 professional but after downloading I was unable to install the download onto my mac. I did purchase vmware fusion 3 to in order to run windows and osx, but after speaking to a couple of techs that said Parallels was easier for a 1st time user I purchased parallels. But now I'm still having the same problem the download for Windows 7 is still sitting in the download list and so is the MS Office pro 2007 download that I purchased. I'm not very good any of this and I'm starting to run out of money and time because my assignments are due by midnight tomorrow! What am I doing wrong? I have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING! I saw something on line about using an ISO file to burn downloads but I'm not even sure how to do that! I don't have ISO.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
To do what you want to do you need to open Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities.
graphic
Once you do that then click on New Image in the toolbar at the top of the window.

That will open a finder window that let you navigate to where that ISO file is.
Then use the CD/DVD Master format, this will create a bit for bit copy, when the image file is saved, change the file extension to ISO.
Now you should have what you need for burning to disk, select Burn in the same disk utility window and navigate to where that file has been saved.
Then burn it.
Now you should have installable copy of Windows 7.
One problem that you're going to run into is after you have installed Windows 7 it will not accept the registration code, so you have to upgrade the installation you just did.
Then it will accept the product code.
Real pain I know but that's life in the Windows world.
I am assuming that DeVry is using software that is only available for Windows. And that is why you have to do this.
As for Microsoft Office the Mac has no trouble running that and swapping files back and forth.
Parallels would be my choice for running a virtual machine.
Let me know if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's still not working. it burned something but I'm sure what. It had to have been the download from yesturday which was the Windows 7 pro but my computer is still saying that I don't have an operating system to support, and to please insert a operating system disk.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Do you have parallels open and running? If not do so and insert the disc did you just burned.
Or if they have given everyone a Windows 7 then it should be possible to use someone else's disk.
The only difference may be the product code but because it's a site license I don't think that's going to matter.
When you insert the disc that you just burned what does it do?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Some additional information.
I know that it says that he has a PC with a DVD burner but his Mac does not however, it will work equally well burning it on the Mac for use for installation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried everything you suggested and nothing worked. I'm really frustrated. I think that this online expert help must be for people that know a little about computers already. I may have my husband look at your answer. But like I said before, it's not that the iso image wasn't burned, it just didn't work on my computer. I plan on taking my computer into a certified Apple tech to check out what's going on. I still don't have the end result that I need. Windows 7 on my mac w/ parallels and week 1 of my classes has ended with not working software. I'm still looking for help!

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry that did not work for you. I'm going to send you to another expert that may be able to help you better than I can. Please check back or watch your e-mail.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

I'd like to continue with you, if I may. Do you have the Windows 7 ISO file downloaded completely?

Let me know.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's okay. My husband and I have completed the download and installed windows 7 now. I'll accept the answer. Thanks anyway.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to accept your answer but it keeps saying " Bad Request".

There might be some site issues. Keep trying.

Brandon