loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

I have downloaded some Ringtones into iTunes in my PC hoping

Customer Question

I have downloaded some Ringtones into iTunes in my PC hoping I could sync this with my iPhone. The ringtones are not syncing with the phone. Whats the problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. You simply need to right-click the ringtone file and choose rename, then ensure you have .m4r as the file extension, then try syncing again.

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not been able to fix my problem and believe I need to explain my problem more fully. The ringtones have been downloaded into itunes purchases individually. I have looked for the file they came from but can not find a file. The ringtones are in amongst music I have purchased.
Ok, what operating system are you using? Windows XP? Mac OS X? Please be specific, such as "I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 or Windows XP 32-bit".

Also, what version of iTunes are you using and what is your iPhone version?

Thanks and regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My PC is running Windows Vista, my phone is an iPhone 3gs 32g software version 3.1.3 and I am running itunes version 9.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the added info - it's appreciated. When you plug your iPhone into Windows Vista, open iTunes, then, on the left pane, click on your iPhone (it should have a name). On the right pane, at the top, you should have tabs. Click on the Ringtone tab at the top. Please tell me what you see here and what's checked or not checked.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In ringtones the following were checked. Sync ringtones, selected ringtones.

There are three ringtones, one has been transfered to my phone, the other two were not transfered because they could not be found. The ringtones I brought numbered 50 and they are not in ringtones.Maybe this the problem but I dont know how to get them into this file. I also checked all ringtones hoping this would help but no such luck.

Also iTunes is version 9.1.1

Please explain how you bought the ringtones and imported them into iTunes. Perhaps this is where the problem lies. Was iTunes used to purchase the ringtones?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John

I brought the Ringtones from iTunes and they imported directly into the purchases file which is what is stated in iTunes.

Regards

After you bought them, did iTunes show the ringtones? When did you notice them missing? Are they in the main Library where the music is perhaps?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They did not show in Ringtones in iTunes, they went straight into iTune purchases.

I think they are also backed up in the music library

Cheers

What I would recommend is that you use Windows Explorer to browse to the ringtone files and verify whether or not they have a .m4r extension. If they don't, you'll need to change the extension and ensure the time of the music file is no more than 30 seconds. Then, you should be able to sync the ringtones after having re-imported them into iTunes via File->Add to Library.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

John,

I am not computer literate so unfortunately you will have to give me blow by blow instructions. Sorry about that!

Regards

No problem Bryan. Click Start->Search. Type the name of your ringtone that you aren't seeing in iTunes. See if it can find the music via Windows Search. Wherever it finds the directory and file, right-click the file and choose Properties. The filename SHOULD be <music file.m4r>. If it doesn't say this and you're sure you have the right file you chose to buy as a ringtone, you should be able to right-click the file and choose Rename, then put m4r as the ending portion of the filename. Then, you will need to go to iTunes, click File->Add to Library and locate the directory from the previous Windows Search. Your next sync should send the ringtone to the iPhone correctly.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John

My husband is still having problems understanding the info you sent. I have managed to get the ringtones into Windows explorer but how can I tell whether they are .m4r file and how do I do this. Please explain step by step. Then how do I transfer to my iphone. Many thanks for your patience for this problem.

Kind regards, Diane

Hi Diane,

If you find the file itself, then right-click the icon and choose Properties, it should reveal the full filename. Alternatively, you can go to Control Panel, click Tools at the top, then Folder Options, then clicki the View tab at the top, find "Hide file extensions for known file types" from the list and uncheck it, then click Apply->Ok from the bottom of this window so that you will be able to see the file extension without accessing properties of the files.

It's important that the filename looks like this - "<song title.m4r>" as this is what tells the iPhone it's to be treated as a ringtone.

While you're attempting to sync the ringtone with the iPhone, are you signed into your iTunes account or no? Might need to do that first.

You may fine it easier to use a utility such as Disk Aid instead of iTunes if iTunes is giving you this much hassle, but lets take it one step at a time.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Hi John</p><p>I will have one last go at this problem and I will start from the beginning. We brought a application which consisted of 35 ring tones for the I phone through itunes. This application went into purchases. We now want to sync these onto the iphone. We have moved the ring tones to windows explorer and now we are stuck. Also in  the control panel tools options we are unable to find folder options. We are both not very well versed in computer language. You have been very patient with us.</p><p>What is the control panel - are these the icons on the top right hand side of the page where there is a home, hand, feed, mail, printer and then a couple more icons and then tools. There is no folder option in the tools</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Thanks, Diane</p>
What application did you use to get these ringtones?

Regards,