Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a Mac G4 1Ghz PowerPC titanium Powerbook running OS

I have a Mac G4 1Ghz PowerPC titanium Powerbook running OS 10.5. I have a 1.5Tb iomega external drive (firewire) that keeps giving me fits. I have been using it to store my music and video files and I have a copy of my previous files from a crashed internal drive. Most of the time, I can force my drive to make my files available by repairing permissions on my internal drive. What's going on?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
Can you tell me what the format of the 1.5 TB drive is?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Journaled extended
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I suggest, if you have a copy, using Disk Warrior on both your internal and the 1 1/2 TB.
If you do not have Disk Warrior, you can get it here DiskWarrior 4.
I know it is expensive but it is worth every penny, it will rebuild your directories among other things.
It is my favorite utility.
In the meantime I suggest a SafeBoot, do this by holding down the 'Shift' key until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear. This runs repair routines that sometimes are neglected, it will take considerably longer to load than normal.
Once you reach the login screen it should say in red SafeBoot, login and give it a few more minutes.
Try accessing the external drive and see how it behaves.
Now restart normally, things should be pretty much normal.
While this might do the trick for now I still recommend Disk Warrior.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was suggested that I copy the contents of the drive to a temporary space on another drive , put a partition on this drive then put everything back on. Can the lack of an initial partition cause problems like I have been experiencing?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Your PowerBook is fairly old in computer years, it should not have a problem using that size drive but splitting it into thirds may be a good idea, I don't see any reason not to.
I think that will be more your personal preference than anything else.
I have never heard of the situation other than the early G3's having an issue with larger drives.
How did the SafeBoot work? Did it help? I know it can't hurt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am unable to use my hands. I have a spinal cord injury . I will try it when I can. I mounted the drive directly to the root instead of selecting 1 when it asked how I wanted to partition the drive. I left the partitioning alone and just gave the entire drive a name.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I have found a way for you to do this without having to use your hands.
This Apple article explains how.Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode
Another thing you might want to consider is upgrading to an Intel Mac and then getting MacSpeech Dictate.
This is some very good speech recognition software and I use it constantly, you can control your entire computer with it.
Your biggest problem there is that it requires an Intel Mac.
I hope that I have been of some service. God bless.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My next computer will be a quad-core iMac with any luck!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Nice choice. I wish you the best of luck.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.