loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

I cant open the login items in preferences.

I can't open the "login items" in preferences.
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm John.

Please first try repairing disk permissions as this has been the cause for most native preferences to not open. Here are the instructions:

Repairing Disk Permissions
------------------------------------

1) Open the Disk Utility by selecting Applications -> Utilities -> and then Disk Utility

2) From the left pane toward the top, select Macintosh HD (or whatever name you've called it if changed from default)

3) From the right pane toward the bottom, select the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Once complete, reboot your Mac.

Note: This process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so. Things that can affect the time it takes Repair Disk Permissions to complete:

* Whether you've run Repair Disk Permissions or not
* How fast your computer is

From my experience, I've seen this utility fix all sorts of issues - anywhere from Applications/Utilities not launching or responding to Mac computers not booting properly. Because of this, I recommend you do this once every couple of months and any time you perform an Apple Software Update

If the information took care of your issue, please click Accept so that I get credit for providing the solution. If the information helped, but you require further assistance, please do NOT click Accept and we'll continue to work the issue until you're happy. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal. Please remember to leave feedback as this is like Gold to us Experts and we'll do the same for you.ve as possible.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Loadedmind,

I ran "repair disk permissions" , but it didn't help. ( I do run that program maybe once a month or when something starts acting goofy, )
I get this message when I try to run "login Items":

PREFERENCES ERROR
You cannot open Login Items preferences pane on this computer. Contact the developer of this software for a newer version.

Just for your information, I'm on an IMac with a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo preocessor with 512 MB 667 MHz of Ram.

Thanks for your help.
lumbertt

What version of OS X?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.4.11
Ok, please try moving your plist for login items to the desktop as follows:

Close any open System Preferences windows, open a new Finder window, navigate to your Home folder, open the Library folder, then open the Preferences folder. Look for the ‘com.apple.loginitems.plist‘ file and create a backup copy of it on your Desktop.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found one called 'com.apple.loginwindow.plist' not one called 'loginitems'.
Made a copy to desk top.

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey John,
Looking around I found another folder in the library called 'PreferencePanes'. The only thing in it is something called 'Loginitems,prefPane'.

Tom
Does the filename end with .plist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. When i double click on it, it trys to open up the 'login items' and then has the same 'Preferences Error' message.
The filename should be com.apple.loginitems.plist. Can you do a search on the Mac for this file?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I'm doing a search under Finder>File>Find, but I don't know. There is no spinning wheels or anything to tell me it's looking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think its done, 0 items found.

Note; when i look in the 'ProcessViewer' it says that 'loginwindow' is running.
Login window and login items are not the same thing. Let's do a search using Terminal found under Applications->Utilities. Please type the following command and press enter:
sudo find / -name '*login*.plist'

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It says- /applications/acast!.app/Contents/Resources/avast  installer.app/Contents/Resources/loginwindow.empty.plist

This the first of 10 lines that look like it found 'loginwindow'

The is one that says- System/Library/LaunchDaemons/login.plist
Ok, I'm looking at a Mac with Tiger installed and I'm going to the System Preferences and I see Accounts which was what Login Items was called before. Is this what you're clicking on?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In System Preferences there is a group called Personal in that, there are 8 icons, including 'Appearance', 'Dashboard', 'Dock', etc., one is called 'Login Items'. When I click on that I get the error message.

Tom
Ok, at this point, I'm going to recommend you perform a reinstall using your installation disc that wa supplied with your Mac. If you decode to go this route, you definitely need to backup your data to another hard drive. I recommend Superduper as it can make your external hard drove bootable after having backed it up. If your need something that's free, I'd go with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Please let me know if you née assistance with this procedure.

Regards,
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.