Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments

Kernel Panics I really need to get my MacBook Pro to

Kernel Panics???

I really need to get my MacBook Pro to be more stable. Here is some of my history. This is a fairly new MacBook Pro which was purchased in August of 09. I have had to have my hard drive replaced twice. the last being a week a half ago.

Both times I had to have my hard drives replaced was after an issue with Apple updates.

More info: When my system was purchased it was running Leopard and since then I have upgraded to snow leopard.

One last bit of info: I have run the disk utility and have verified my disk and it said everything was ok. But when I run repair, I get this following comment;

Warning:SUID file "System/Library/Core ... as been modified and will not be repaired.

also an earlier line in the string states ...

Permissions differ on "usr/share/derby", should be drwxr-xr-x, they are lrwxr-xr-x.

I just want to get my system to be stable and no more Kernel Panics.

Thanks for the help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Does your computer contain any after market memory upgrades, or did the memory (RAM) in the machine come with the computer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Original memory
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
When your hard drive was replaced most recently, did you install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard from the install disk, or did you restore a backup copy to the drive?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure. It was replaced at an authorized Mac repair shop. I know they had to save the previous system data and replace after they found the hard drive had become unstable. So I do not know how they did it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no answer?
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Its really a strange problem. The files in the /System folder should not be getting corrupted after 2 weeks. You've either got a memory problem, or a bad install that was copied from your last system right onto your new one. If this were my system or was in my shop, I'd reformat the drive and install snow leopard from scratch and see how the system performs. If you are getting kernel panics on a clean install of OS X, then something is wrong with the hardware inside the machine. Memory is the most likely candidate.

If you reformat the system, you will lose all your data. If you are going to do that, you should make sure you have a complete backup ahead of time.

However, given that this machine is under warranty, and is suffering from the same or a similar problem that prompted an authorized repair 2 weeks ago, I would probably call Apple and make a stink about it. If you are close to an Apple store, go in there and get in the manager's face, talk to him about your repair history and the ongoing problems with the system and see if they can replace the machine and/or promise to make this one work properly. Apple prides themselves on excellent customer service, and your experience appears to have been poor.