Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Skype Will Not Recognize The Camera On My Macbook Pro

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Under Skype/Preferences/Video select your camera in the dropdown next to Camera.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Mike,

I had already tried that but the camera does not appear on that menu
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Does you camera work with Photobooth?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 4/14/2010 at 4:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the camera works fine with photo booth
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
And you have the latest version of Skype?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just installed it about 6 weeks ago or so...OK I just checked...the skype version is 2.8.0.851.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Quit Skype.

Delete the file Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

Delete the file User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

Launch Skype.

Cross your fingers
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okey Dokey....there was no com.skype.skype.plist to be found at MacHD:Library/preferences.

I did locate and delete that same file from the User/Library/Preferences. I then launched skype and same thing, "no camera connected" and there are no cameras listed in the pull down...hlpe me Mr. Wizard!

Thanks,
Ross
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Make sure you system is up to date and:

Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility and select your hard drive on the left. On the right click Verify Disk. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If not try to repair.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Also make sure you don't have any other programs like iChat open that might be using the camera. Other than that I don't have any more ideas.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
verify disk was OK...I did the repair permissions and that didn't help. no more ideas?...bummer! This Macbook is about 5 months old...the hard drive died and was replaced approx 2 months ago...could that have anything to do with it? The Apple support folks says the problem definitely lies in skype....any suggestions on who to ask next? I really need the camera working for the product development work I'm doing with a Taiwan client
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Also try: restart your computer hold down Option/Command/P/R keys until you hear the computer chime three times then let go of the keys.

Aslo make a new user account and see if it works
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the restart Option/command/P/R key trick looks like it worked....I just tried it out calling a friend and we're up and running...muchas gracias!
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Great!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks again for the help...I included a 5$ TIP
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Thanks