Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

Hi, my ipod 40 gb Sr# 2Z54809SR5Q is stuck. I purchased a

Hi, my ipod 40 gb Sr# XXXXX is stuck. I purchased a new imac 27" w/snow leopard. I synced the ipod first time today. It didn't sync. It said do not disconnect but did not sync. After about an hour I took it off the ipod dock. After a few hours the do not disconnect went off. it now makes a clicking sound when I try to use it . it does the same when I put it in the dock to sync. PLease help. Richard Cicchetti, Asheville , NC USA
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to say, but the clicking noise most likely means the hard drive in the ipod is dead. There is one way to test this. Charge the iPod then press and hold center and menu, then when it starts reboot press center and play till it says it's in disk mode. If you still hear the clicking noise. Then I would say most likely the drive has died.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Kyle, I will let it charge up and follow the rest of your directions in the morning and let you know what happens. Ciao, Richard
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kyle, ipod fully charged. pressed and held center and menu... screen got dark with apple icon, started clicking, after about 5-10 seconds an ipod icon came up followed by a website url: www.applesupport.com/ipod, that went away after about 5=10 seconds, then screen went blank, continued to hold buttons down for about 30-45 seconds more but no change. I let it set for a minute and did it again.... repeated same as described above.
Sounds like the Hard drive in the iPod has gone bad. You have a few options, you can go to an apple store with it and get 10% off a new ipod or you can look for a replacement hard drive for it online. I'm thinking the best would be is getting a new ipod.
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience: 5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.