Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.

Hi, I accidentally removed my iphone cable a couple of months

I accidentally removed my iphone cable a couple of months ago while the phone was still syncing, and since then, my music won't sync. I continue to get the message, "Attempting to copy to the disk "(my iPhone)" failed. The disk could not be read from or written to."

I believe this is a Mac issue, and not my iPhone, as I can sync perfectly from my other mac computer.

Is this correctable? Just as an aside, I run "Disk Utility" (repair permissions) regularly, and it hasn't solved the problem.

Thank you.

Eric Geier
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 4 years ago.
What do you sync on to it from the other mac?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything - I'm sure it's a disk problem on the mac that's not syncing my music
Do you have any ipod/iphones syncing with that library?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just one iphone.
When you plug the phone into that computer does it show up in itunes at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it shows up in iTunes, and everything else syncs properly (photos, apps). Only the songs don't sync.
Try this, connect the phone, click on it in itunes, then click the music tab, make sure it's checked to sync music to the iphone, might have gotten, unchecked from pulling the cable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been checked - it tries to sync to the iphone, but gets locked and then I get the disk error message mentioned above.
Ok, sorry, missed that. Then this changes what you will need to do. When the phone is plugged in and after it's done backing up and sync, I would click the restore button, this will reset your iphone, after it's done restoring, it will ask you if this is a new phone or if you want to restore one of your backups. Choose to restore the backup. Then see if your music will sync on to the device.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've done that before, hasn't worked. Evidently, the disk (in my computer) or part of the disk that stores the music within itunes got somehow corrupted when the cord came out during syncing. I can listen to the music without problems on iTunes, but it just won't sync to the iphone.
What about restoring with setting up the phone as a new phone. Not using the back up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that as well, doesn't work. When I sync to the iphone from my other mac (secondary mac), there are no problems whatsoever. The problem with that is, I don't have access to my entire library from my secondary mac. I need to find a way to correct the disk problem, within the mac, so it'll sync to my iphone. Do you have any ideas on how to do that, or if it's even possible?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let's try this... The goal here is to get all my songs on my iPhone, especially the one's I've purchased on iTunes. I've been successful transferring the non-purchased songs (using an external backup drive as the conduit between my older, non-working mac, and my new one. However, iTunes won't let me sync my purchased songs to my iPhone from my newer (secondary) mac, 'cause my main account is on my old mac (or something like that).

If you can tell me how to get my purchased songs on my iPhone through my newer, fully-functional mac, the question will have been answered.

Thanks and Regards,

Ok, lets try this. Just to make sure, are you using the same AppleID account on both computers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, same ID, but I don't have both computers in front of me, and I keep them in two separate places. If you can walk me through the steps, I'll try it tomorrow (but I'll pay tonight). Thank you.
Do you have an external drive or how have you been moving the files between the computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Via an external drive. I have all the non-purchased songs on my new machine. I just need to figure out a way to get the purchased ones (from iTunes) on the phone as well, and those won't transfer via an external drive.
All your songs should be able to copy on the external HD. What you need to do is open itunes on the computer you want the music from. Then go to file > library > Organize Library. In the window click consolidate files, then click ok. After it's done go into finder, go to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/music, in there you will see an itunes folder, copy that to your hard drive, that is a full copy of the itunes library on that computer. Then when you get back to the computer you want to sync to plug the hard drive in, go in to the itunes folder, there will be a music folder, then copy anything you want into itunes. Then sync your phone and you should be all set.
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience: 5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You...