Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.

I just purchased a brand new iMAC and successfully transferred

I just purchased a brand new iMAC and successfully transferred all of my data over from my old G4. I'm having problems with Extensis Suitcase X1 though. I can open it, but when I try to open any individual font, I get the beach ball and I have to force quit the program.
That version of suitcase will not run under leopard or snow leopard. It's not supported on this platforms.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you recommend what I should purchase. I'm a graphic designer, so fonts are very important to my work.
If you like the suitcase product, I would say get the latest version from them, which is fusion 2. I have heard good things about it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I downloaded the 30 day trial of Fusion 2 successfully. I loaded my fonts and activated them but when I opened my Quark 6.5 document it says the fonts are missing. When I try to update them or replace them, the fonts aren't in the list as available. I quit Quark and restarted, but still no luck.
I would try deleting all the quark pref files and have them rebuild them. All you have to do is go to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/preferences, any thing with quark in it's name move to the desktop. Then try re-launching quark.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm trying everything. I'm sure you are right, but I can't figure it out. When I move any item with Quark in its name to the desktop it reappears in the same place I moved it from. Does that make any sense?

Are you saying I would be prompted to enter my "User Name" because I'm not.
Yes, they should come back. The those files will be rebuilt by the application. You shouldn't be prompted for your username.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I feel like I did it right then. But, I quit Quark and reopened my document, and the fonts still aren't available. However, they do appear when I'm working in Photoshop. Go figure! Is it a Quark thing? I know it's an older version.
at this point that is what I would say, seeing as it's working in other apps just fine. And with it's age doesn't help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The font also appeared when I opened an Illustrator file. Shoot, do I really need to upgrade Quark now?? Just invested in this new computer, but I knew my home computer and software were out dated. Just got laid off last Oct. after 22 years at an advertising agency that didn't keep us updated accordingly and my home version of everything was even older. Just trying to be able to freelance now.
Sorry to say so.