Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

I upgraded to a new iMac but now my scanner does not work as

Customer Question

I upgraded to a new iMac but now my scanner does not work as well. It is an MP460 Printer/Scanner. When I click scan using the MP Navigator 3.0 it often won't scan until I have clicked it a couple of times and when it finally does scan it takes significantly longer to scan than it did with my old iMac even though I am scanning at the same 300 dpi as before. It seems like there is some conflict that I don't know how to fix. I have tried downloading a new driver but with the same result. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 4 years ago.
Is the scanner plugged right into the computer or to a usb hub?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is plugged into a USB port.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is plugged into a USB port on my imac..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is plugged into a USB port  on my imac..
What version of mac os x are you running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Version 10.6.2
Do you remember the version you were running on your old iMac?
Also you know the version number of the scanner software you installed from the website?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to understand everything going on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know but it wasn't snow leopard as I also upgraded it to Snow Leopard and I gave it to my daughter. I really don't know the version number of the scanner software. I just went to the cannon web site under where you can download drivers. I asked about Mac OS X and clicked on MP460 (which is my printer/scanner. When I want to scan something it will say scanner is warming up and it can take 2 to three minutes before I can hear it start scanning. Before it would start almost instantaneously.
Ok, Thank you for all the information. I have you tried scanning with preview at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know what that means, "Scanning with preview?"
In the applications folder you will find an app called preview. With this app you can view pdfs and pictures. You can also scan in images.To do that you need to open the preview application, then go up to file > import from scanner > then select your scanner. You will get the same style controls. 300dpi and what kind of image your scanning in. I have found this application works much better then the software that comes from the printer companies. Also see as your computer is at 10.6.2, also try running software updates. 10.6.3 came out this week on Monday with many bug fixes.
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience: 5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately that scanning from preview seems to not work as good I'll try the updates and see if that fixes it. I called the Apple guys and they said it must be a Cannon printer/scanner issue. I couldn't get anyone from cannon to help me and that is why nI tried you guys. I suppose I'm just out of luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I updated to 10.6.3 but with the same result. Looks like I have a lemon for a printer/scanner.
Sorry to hear about the printer still acting bad. Thank you for the accept.