Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

Just bought a rebel camera and installed the software. When

Customer Question

Just bought a rebel camera and installed the software. When I try to down load pictures from AN OLDER canon camera [sureshot A80 ] it no longer opens to I photo and I cant get the photos into my MAC Did the new software I installed for the canon rebel change settings? How can I get my A80 to download to my computer.

the system profiler recognizes the presence of the A80
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.

You're correct, the software you installed is grabbing the camera instead of iPhoto. To change it back, you'll need to open iPhoto, and go to the iPhoto menu->Preferences option.

From that window, make sure the General tab is selected, and next to the Connecting Camera opens: option, make sure iPhoto is selected from the drop down menu.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions regarding the issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Under the general tab there is no "connecting camera open" option in my version of I photo 6.0.6.
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Try opening the Preferences in Image Capture (which is located in your Applications folder), and see if the option is there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the help

do you think I will have to go through this process every time I download from my new cannon rebel and then some other source?
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
You shouldn't, that should simply change it back. You may need to manually open the Cannon software when you connect the Rebel, but honestly, iPhoto handles RAW format very well, and in my experience does a better job of managing photos than Canon's.