Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I cant install after effects cs3, I tried once and it wouldnt

Customer Question

I can't install after effects cs3, I tried once and it wouldn't let me because i didnt have the available gig of ram to run it, so i ordered and installed the ram, and tried again. but NOW I can't install it cause it's telling me that After Effects CS3 conflicts with After Effects CS3. I don't see ANYTHING listed under uninstall After Effects, so I don't know what to do. I wish it would just overwrite. Sorry, I've been trying everything, annoyed at this point.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Could you please give your Mac's Hardware details ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac", click More Info button. Select "Hardware" from the left column and post everything in there in here)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1
Serial Number: YM5161F6RU3
Expert:  David Kirk replied 4 years ago.

To remove previous After Effects installation attempts:

1. Insert the installation DVD into your drive.
  2. Launch setup from the DVD.
  3. Select Remove Adobe After Effects CS3 Components, and follow the on-screen instructions.
  4. On the Remove Installed Components screen, select Remove All Application Preferences.
  5. After the removal is complete, restart your computer and install After Effects.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So we can try to create new account and see if that helps.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password and Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.
  • Try After Effects

If it worked, you can copy your old account's files into new account.
So go to Macintosh HD/Users/[youroldaccount]/ and copy all important files like Pictures, iTunes music, Documents and everything except Library folder into Macintosh HD/Users/[yournewaccount/.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got it working this weekend, thank you for your replies. None of that stuff seemed to be working, I didn't even see a remove After Effects option, and like I said there was no uninstall. After multiple attempts, my friend threw the computer in safe mode and began going through all adobe folders and began testing/deleting possible problems. Ironically, although there was no uninstall, there was 1 related file in an Adobe programs folder. As soon as we sought that out and deleted it, it installed fine. ugh.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
OKay...glad you sorted it out !