Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

My mac mail crashes...frequently. I think it happens when I

My mac mail crashes...frequently. I think it happens when I am sending as mail downloads simultaneously. I have a G4, OS X, 10.4.11. All updates are current. I lost documents a few days ago as I tried to send them. In word the titles exist, but the files are empty. I am a grad student and very frustrated w/ this. I also have a problem with Firefox as no flash works with it. I can't communicate with you on CNET using Firefox; I have to use Safari. Can you advise? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX Mail issue, try opening Disk Utility (from your Applications->Utilities folder), and running the Repair Disk Permissions option. Then restart and try the program again.

You may also want to reinstall Mail from the gray restore disc or Mac OS install disc, that came with your computer. Simply put the disc in your computer, select the Optional Installs icon, and run through the installer, selecting only Mac Mail from the list of available items.

Also, reinstall the latest version of Firefox (get it here and see if it fixes the flash issue.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions regarding the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the latest version of Firefox, but think it may have something to do with scripts or add ons about which I know nothing.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
When you say it's not playing flash, does it produce an error when you try, or simply not display them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Usually it says I do not have the latest version of Flash and then it directs me to a site to download it. I have Adobe, and it is up to date. Sometimes as on cnn.com I will allow the script and the screen is blank; nothing loads.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In the case of my mail crashing I should add that I was on a site in Norway and when I finally was able after all the noise like trash being eaten to close windows a chat room was open. I am never on chat rooms except for tech support like with ATT, etc.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
If everything works fine in Safari, then you should use a program like AppZapper (get it here) to completely remove Firefox and all it's associated files from your computer.

Make sure you export or backup your favorites before you use the program, as they'll be removed with Firefox.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Then are you suggesting I re-load Firefox. I have been told to use that browser when I am on banking and brokerage sites because it has less vulnerabilities than Safari. Do you have an opinion about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Then are you suggesting I re-load Firefox. I have been told to use that browser when I am on banking and brokerage sites because it has less vulnerabilities than Safari. Do you have an opinion about this? I cannot use AppZapper because my version of OSX is 10.4.11 and AppZapper is for 10.6.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Several years ago, there was a minor security vulverability published for Safari that might be what you're referring to, but it was fixed immediately by Apple. I know a number of people that use Safari for exactly what you're describing and have never had any problems.

I would argue the opposite, in fact, since firefox is open-source and user developed, and Safari is made by Apple.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you suggest a program to delete Firefox from my computer (incl the registry) that was developed for 10.4.11? Am sorry, I was called away from my computer this morning. I won't be around long, but would like to resolve these issues.I appreciate your help to finish these problems.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
You can get a version of AppZapper that works for 10.4.11 here.
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience