Ask Scott, The Computer Man Your Own Ques...

Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions

how to connect an ibook g4 to a macbook

how to connect an ibook g4 to a macbook. My ibook is dead. The macbook only has USB and ethernet connection.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Scott, The Computer Man replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'd like to help you with your connection problem. I believe your saying that you'd like to connect your ibook G4 which is dead to your Macbook so that you can retrieve the information off of it, is this correct?

If the iBook G4 is dead, meaning that you can't get it to turn on at all then the only way to get the information off would be to physically open it up and then remove the Hard Drive and using a Hard Drive to USB adapter plug it into your Macbook.

I do not know how tech savy you are but if you don't feel comfortable doing this you can take the iBook to the Apple Store and they should be able to remove the hard drive and recover the information from it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and don't forget to click the green "Accept Answer" button so that I may be paid for my service. Thanks.

-Scott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi scott..

i can turn on the ibook but all i get is a circle with a line across it after the apple icon is shown.

can i use an ethernet cable to connect both laptops?

The circle with a line through it means that there is a problem with the system folder on your G4. It is possible that the Hard Drive has crashed and that your data is no longer there.

You cannot hook the 2 machines up using an Ethernet cable unless you can get both machines to boot up and into the desktop. Since your G4 has a system issue you will not be able to do this.

On newer machines you can actually hook the 2 machines together using a Firewire Cable without the machine needing to fully boot, but the older G4's don't have that option if they don't have a Firewire port.

-Scott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my ibook has a Firewire port but the macbook doesnt. What else can I do?

If the iBook has a Firewire port you could hook it up to another Mac that also had a Firewire port and then start the iBook while holding down the T key. This will cause the hard drive of the iBook to show up on the other mac and you can transfer the data.

Short of that you're only other option is to remove the Hard Drive and hook it up directly that that special adapter I mentioned before, or take it to the Apple Store and have them do it for you.

-Scott

Experience: Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can i buy a cable to allow my Macbook to have a Firewire port? some kind of converter perhaps.

From experience the apple store I have visited is not very helpful.
They do make Firewire ports that plug into the Express Slot of the computer, but usually if your computer has an express slot it also has a FireWire port, so you may be out of luck on this one.