Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

when i boot up my mac (snow leopard) my cursor turns into a

when i boot up my mac (snow leopard) my cursor turns into a spinning color wheel and i can't do anything other than move the spinning wheel around the screen. any ideas?
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Try the following steps ;

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

(only click accept after it worked)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had already tried to reset the PRAM AND NVRAM, but hadn't tried going into safe mode.

Safe mode worked. I can access my files and stuff. Now what do I do? Should I just restart it and let it boot up normally?
Yeah, just restart and let it boot. Let me know if that works or not.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it did. thank you so much! so if this happens again all i need to do is the same steps? any idea what causes it to do this? is it something i need to have checked out?
Yeah, just do the same steps. Some bad/damaged preference/system files causing this problem. If you boot into Safe Mode, all the start up items will be disabled and Mac runs Disk Utility which will fix the bad files.

Sometimes Safe mode won't work, so you can try these steps if that didn't worked.

Running Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

And Archive and Install : Read More

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks