Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

IM TRYING TO HOOK UP THE VGA SO I CAN WATCH BASKETBALL THATS

I'M TRYING TO HOOK UP THE VGA SO I CAN WATCH BASKETBALL THAT'S ON MY COMPUTER ON MY TV SCREEN. I HAVE HOOKED UP THE CABLE WITH THE MAC ADAPTOR BUT IT SAYS "NO SIGNAL"
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Try opening your System Preferences from the Apple menu in the upper left corner. Choose the Displays pane, and click the Detect Displays option. That should find any attached displays.

Let me know if that doesn't solve the problem, or if there's anything else I can assist you with.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I hit detect displays, nothing happens. Is there more than one Mac adaptor for MacBook for VGA? Maybe I have the wrong adaptor
If they're connected, and the cables feel snug, then it's probably not that.

Tell me more about your setup (e.g. make/model of your TV and Mac).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The TV Monitor is an HP that has VGA capability. The Mac is a laptop MacBook.

The icon on the adaptor has a rectangle with vertical lines on the side. The only port that the adaptor goes into has a Y shaped icon. That must be the problem?
If your computer is newer (within the last 4-5 years) the VGA cable won't plug directly into it, you'll need an adapter.

If the computer is less than 3 years old, you'll definitely need the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. If it's older than that, you may need a Mini-VGA to VGA adapter. Either one can be purchased at your local Apple Store, online, or in some cases, Best Buy.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The adaptor I have was purchased at Best Buy and is a Mini Display Port to VGA Adaptor. The computer is abouut 2 years old or less. I put the adaptor onto a PC
VGA cord that goes into the TV. I told Best Buy what computer I had and brought the PC cord in with me to be sure it matched.
Then it's likely that you need a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter instead. To be sure, go to the Apple Menu in the upper left corner of the screen, and choose the About this Mac option.

Let me know what your processor speed is, and what color your computer is (e.g. white or silver).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a MacBook 5.2 Processor: 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 2GB 800 MHz

Does that help?
If the side of your computer looks like this:

Macbook

then you'll need to purchase a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. You can see what the Mini-DVI port looks like in the picture.

If it looks like this:
Macbook2
If it looks like this, you'll need to connect it to the 3rd port from the left, that's the Mini-Display port.