Ask Scott, The Computer Man Your Own Ques...

Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions
33891562

I have a Macbookpro4,1 with intel core duo processor. It will

I have a Macbookpro4,1 with intel core duo processor. It will not read audio cds. It spins and then rejects them. How do I resilve this?
hi there,

I'll be happy to assist you.

Remove the superdrive firmware updater from your Utilities folder.

try a different cd

just reboot the system.

run all your security updates
and also Firmware updates

if not solve then
check apple.com/support

Hope it will help you.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer!

Good Luck!

---------------------------------------
if my answer helps you then click on ACCEPT button (the only way i got paid for my effort) and if not satisfied then ask again or repost your query instead of giving negative feedback. Show your kindness by giving Positive Feedback and Bonus.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
still no joy. This solution has not worked,
hi,

have you tried any other audio Cd ?
and what about any video CD or normal cd?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It will play a dvd but no audio cd
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It will play a dvd but no audio cd and it will play a video cd and dvd.
hi,

might be its firmware/ driver problem that is not recognising the audio

jsut contact to Apple regarding this issue.
http://www.apple.com/support/
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid that none of your suggestions have worked so I will have to try elsewhere.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Unable to play cds on macbook pro. It will play dvds. tried the suggestions from expert 1 but to no avail.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f2

My name isXXXXX understand you're having a problem with playing Audio CD's let's see if we can figure out what is going on. I'd like you to please tell me what happens when you insert an Audio CD, does the computer launch iTunes?

If not can you please open up iTunes and try to play the CD from in there. I'd like to know if first of all, it plays at all, if not do you see the song advancing in the iTunes tool bar but just no audio is coming out, or does the CD not even get recognized by iTunes?

Once you get back to me with this info, we can proceed further. Thanks.

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tunes does not open at all. The drive spins for a while then it ejects the cd. I opened i tunes but it still does not allow the cd to play.
Ok, I'm beginning to understand more about your problem, I believe that we're looking at a damaged CD/DVD drive here, but I'd like you to try a few more things. First please open iTunes and then insert an audio cd. Let me know what happens. Also is the audio CD one that you burned yourself or is it one that you bought? If it's one you burned yourself could you please try inserting an Audio CD you bought from the store and letting me know what happens. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Scott, It is a new cd that I bought that i have been trying. It is just out of the box and the computer spins for a little while and then spits it out. I have tried a number of cds and none work. A dvd will play but no audi cd will play
Thank you for this information. I have done some research and there are several other people who have experienced this problem in the past few months. All of the symptoms are always the same, it will play DVD's no problem, but it won't mount CD's. All of their resolutions have been the same, they have tried several things, some of which you have already done such as resetting the PRAM. Ultimately, they have all had to take their computer to the Apple Store and Apple has replaced the drive. The reason it will play DVD's but not CD's is that the laser seems to be failing. The laser is angled differently when playing DVD's vs. CD's so the drive needs to be replaced. Sorry I do not have better news for you, but sometimes these things do happen, hopefully you're computer is still under warranty so the repair will not cost you anything. -Scott
Experience: Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions