Ask Scott, The Computer Man Your Own Ques...

Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions

I have a numbers document which is password protected. I have

I have a numbers document which is password XXXXX I have placed a hint on the document, but do not know how to access the document, do you know how
Category: Mac
Expert:  Scott, The Computer Man replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA my name isXXXXX if you don't remember the password XXXXX your Numbers document you will be unable to recover the password XXXXX information in the document, as it is encrypted.

You mentioned that you have a hint on the document, if you enter the password XXXXX 3 times in a row the hint will be displayed. Hopefully that will jog your memory so that you can get back into your document.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and don't forget to click the green "Accept Answer" button so that I may be paid for my service. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Scott, I need you to assist me with getting the hint. I have already got to the point of the hint, however the the words are cut off. I need to see the full words to the hint, which i think there will be about 4 words. I am only getting 1 word

When you type the password XXXXX 3 times the entire hint should be shown. There are no hidden words that can be shown any other way. Perhaps the hint is not what you thought.

The only possible explanation I have is that maybe the window can be resized, when the hint comes up see if you can drag the corner of that window to resize it.

I do understand a problem such as this can be frustrating, but if you look at it from the other side, imagine someone was trying to gain access to your password XXXXX document, you wouldn't want it to be easy for them to do so.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Scott, yes it is frustrating. So are there any other options available to me?

Not really. There are pieces of software out there that will go through all kinds of dictionary word, letter, and number combinations trying to guess your password, but they aren't really legal and usually contain a lot of viruses.

I wouldn't even know where to direct you to get one of those but I know they exist. Other than that I'm afraid to say you are out of luck. I suppose you could try asking Apple about. It is their software so they may have some sort of back door that is not generally known, but I don't think they're really help you in this case because there is no way to prove you are the owner of the document.

Sorry we couldn't get you back into your document. I will recommend that if you password XXXXX another document, try launching it immediately afterwords. When you enter the password XXXXX get into it, you'll be presented with an option to store this password XXXXX your "keychain". I highly recommend this as then it will be added to your central password XXXXX on your Mac and you'll be able to access it any time you need it.

Have a good evening.