Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I have a Mac mini with a Lacie hard drive. My iTunes music

I have a Mac mini with a Lacie hard drive. My iTunes music is stored on the hard drive. Now when I try to play the songs the error message "The song"...." could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" comes up. Does this mean my hard drive is not working? I have checked all the connections and they seem to be OK.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 6 years ago.
Hello!
Are u trying to play the music when the drive is disconnected? or do u know if the drive name has been changed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The drive is connected to the Mac mini and I haven't changed the drive name.
ok lets do this then can u right click on the song that has the exclamation point and go to get info. A window will open with info from the song if u look at the bottom is should say Where in bold (on the left middle) and then the location of the file. Just make sure that the location itunes sees is the same as the real file. The reason this happens is a file was moved from where it was when it was imported to itunes. Then when u try to play the song itunes cant find it and gives u that exclamation point. If this does not work the only other option is reimporting ( but you might get doubles) or you can create a new library by holding option and then opening itunes. At that point it will ask if u want to create a new library or use an existing one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sure this sounds stupid but how do you right click with a Apple mouse since there is no right click button?
Glad you asked! That would be a CTRL+Click.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where says "not available"
Ok so now we know that itunes link with the songs are broken. So you have the two options stated above or if u can group up all the songs that are giving this error and delete them then re add them. That however takes alot of time and patience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is every song on the hard drive. That would be 106 GB of music. I didn't change their address and there must be some way to locate that amount of stuff on the hard drive. The hard drive is essentially not used for anything but this music.
I see well there must have been one time that iTunes tried to play a file (or files) and that drive wasnt connected. We can rule out the program to because If you library or itunes program were corrupt u would not be able to enter itunes or say the library file is corrupt. Unfortunately itunes wont reimport them without making duplicates. Its a pain and probably hurts if you have all your playlist in line and such but creating a new library is the easiest and fastest way. Also when you do create a new library it wont delete the old one. So you can do a trial run and see if adding them to the new library will give the same issue although i doubt it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you trying to tell me that I have to stick 4000 cd's into the drive one at a time and reload them?
That came out wrong. What I mean by reimporting is that you would just need to drag the folder (in your external hard drive) to the itunes library so it can reimport them to your music library.

edit
U can also go to file>add to library and select the folder that way.

Edited by Johnny Mack on 4/2/2010 at 12:34 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great. Now we are getting there. Where can I find the folder that all this music is in to drag it to the iTunes library?
We just need to get into that external drive and find where the music is. If the music is not in a folder you can just add the whole drive and itunes will scan for the any mp3's, aac's, etc
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. Tell me how to do that.
Very easy. First we make sure the external drive is connected. Then we can either look on the desktop for another hard drive icon or open finder and on the left hand side ( under devices) you should see your hard drive. If you click on that icon you will see all the files stored on the drive at that point its just a matter of opening folders and looking for the music. Once you found the music u can either drag and drop that folder into itunes library or go to file and just select add to library
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can't find any music files on the hard drive. There are only 5 folders - User Guides and Information, Applications, Library, System, and Users.
Do you only see one hard drive icon in the device list?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can dee the icon for the external hard drive which is what I just described and the icon for the Mac mini.
ok then lets go ahead and add the whole drive then. To do that we just need to go to file>add to library> then click the external hard drive icon and click the choose button. Then itunes will start scanning and adding songs for you. iTunes might take awhile because of the amount of media on the drive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found an iTunes music library on the computer hard drive and I am adding that. I already tried to add the entire contents of the external hard drive by dragging it to the music library and it didn't find my music so I'm guessing something has happened to the file or that somehow it got moved to the computers hard drive. I'm hoping against hope that all 30,000 songs will be on the computers hard drive. Thanks for your help.