David Kirk
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.

Hi I have imported a movie that I had made in Final cut express

Customer Question

I have imported a movie that I had made in Final cut express to iMovie 09 (.mov format). I used the stabilizer analyzer on it and added chapters to it. Now I want to 'share' it to iDVD but iDVD is not an option that becomes available (it remains grey) what am I doing/have I done/should be doing to get it to iDVD.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David Kirk replied 6 years ago.

You will want to hang on to your original video, since it's very hard to edit the video once it is in iDVD.

You can add chapter markers in Final Cut Express.

To export your video from Final Cut to iDVD:

1. Go to "File->Export->Quicktime Movie"
  2. Name the file and choose a save location
  3. Use: DV NTSC 48khz, include Audio and Video, include chapter markers here.
  4. Leave the "Make Movie Self-Contained" box unchecked. This makes a reference movie, which is a smaller file that only works on your computer. Make it self-contained if you plan to use it elsewhere.
  5. Drag this newly created Quicktime reference movie into iDVD project.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's great, I'll be sure to give that a try sometime but I am in iMovie 09 - one click away from being done... how do I get it to iDVD, what do I need to do to make the iDVD option become available tome.
I do appreciate the first answer but it does not solve my current issues.
Ok, from iMovie '09 can you "Share to Media Browser" and then use that file in iDVD?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Dave

Sorry for the delays in responding and thank you for your patience. It is Good Friday, 24 celsius and beautiful here so I plan on spending more time outside than at the computer (with any luck) and I hope you will do the same!
In iMovie 09, when I click on the 'share' tab in the menu at the top and I scroll thru all my options, iDVD is there but not available to me (it is that grey colour). What do I need to do the make it 'available'.
I'm out of ideas and will open this to other experts. Thanks!