Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hi im getting a General Error (just says general error -

Customer Question

Hi im getting a "General Error" (just says general error - not general error 41) when rendering. Any way anyone can help. I still have 148 GB's left on my HD so it's not a HDrive problem.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
This can be caused by a lot of different things.
I suggest starting with permissions repair done with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities.
That's the first thing I would try. The next thing would be a safe boot, this is done by restarting and holding down the 'Shift' key until the Apple logo and the spinning gear.
Then letting go, it would take longer to load because it is running repair routines, when the login screen appears it will have in red 'Safe Boot'.
Login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Restart normally after this because you don't want to run in safe mode.
The next thing I suggest is this maintenance widget that goes into your dashboard.
This will actually do the permissions repair without having to use Disk Utility if you so choose, it also runs cache cleaners and log rotations for daily, weekly and monthly.
The last thing that I have to recommend is also the most expensive.
This rebuilds the directory and puts things back in order so that the finder has a much easier time finding.
It costs about $100 but it is well worth every penny, my very favorite utility.
Let me know what you think.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Error: could not unmount disk. I highlighted the Hard Disk I'm using for this project named volume "FreeAgent Drive"
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What does the error i'm getting "Could not unmount disk" mean.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
That means that the disk could not be ejected from the desktop.
I suggest selecting restart from the Apple menu and if that fails then hold down the power button until it shuts down.
Make sure that you perform the safe boot when you turn it back on after a forced shutdown.