Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi! I m not able to access the net through safari or other

Hi! I´m not able to access the net through safari or other browsers for more than half a minute, then it´s shut down. The same goes for Mail. But the strange thing is that Skype is working all the time. Can you help me with this. I´m using Snow Leopard on a MacBook. Greetings, Oyvind
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
Skype is the problem. Open System Preferences/Accounts, then click on the tab called Login Items.
Click on Skype from the list and then click the minus sign.
Restart or logout and login and I think your Safari will be fine.
Give it a try and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi!
Thanks for a fast answer.
I have a problem, and that is that my Skype program has norwegian texting, so I have problems following the english commands.
Oyvind
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That does complicate things.
Can you tell me what version of Mac OS X you have?
Only Skype is a Norwegian? Or are other things also?
Would images help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have got Mac OS X 10.6.3.
Everything is Norwegian..
Do you know if I can change the language at Skype.
If not, I have downloaded an english vertion I can install.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You mean your whole computerIs Norwegian? If so is coming through in beautiful English.
You can change the language used by changing the System Preference/Input Sources.

graphic

If that doesn't work then install the English version.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, but still I am not able to follow your instructions from the first reply, even though I have managed to switch the language to english. Pictures would help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Additional info/
Now I got your instructions. I was trying to fix this on the menus of Skype...
However, Skype was not listed in the menu I checked, so it can not be the problem.
Any other suggestions
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Click work circled says accounts.
graphic
Once you click on login items you will see a list, highlights Skype and then click on the -.
Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You got my last message?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Skype is indeed the problem however you cannot fix it from within Skype.
You need to open System Preferences/Accounts and get it out all of the login items.
Then you have to restart your Mac. Then you should be able to get on the Internet without any trouble or interference from Skype.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to be more precise I see.
I did check the menu System Preferences/Accounts, but Skype was not listed there...
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I understand now I thought you were doing something different.
In that case let's try something totally different.
Open System Preferences/Accounts and create a new user account like this.

To make a new test account. This instruction sheet covers more than just one operating system, your system preferences may look a bit different but the way it is done remains the same.

This is the way it looks in 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6.

Open System Preferences/Accounts.

sys prefsaccount.jpg

accounts.jpg

if the padlock is locked click on it and enter your password XXXXX unlock it.

Then click on the plus just above the lock.

3new test account.jpg

Fill in the information as it is in the above image.

Make certain it says Administrator then click create account.

Now your new test account is fully functional and can be used to troubleshoot issues in your machine.

Depending upon what we are testing you will probably want to logout of your normal account and log in to this account.

Once you've done this logout of your present account and login to this and try your Safari. Then let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not able to view the files you sent me this time..
All I see is a questionmark
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I will send it to you another way.
This link you will have to copy paste into your address bar and has the same information that you would have gotten had it gone through.
This is a PDF file and will show you how to make a new account.
http://senduit.com/ef2df0
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now I have made a new account and tried Safari, but it is still not working...
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
How is it you are connected to the Internet? Is it via wireless, or is it cabled as in ethernet to the modem?
I am beginning to think that you have a connection problem to the Internet some ports may be blocked or turned off in your router/modem.
Can you tell me what model modem/router you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am connected via WLAN to a router.
But it is working perfectly well with other computers.
Can we continue tomorrow. It is almost one in the morning here.
Will you be back tomorrow
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Yes, see you then.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi again Dan!
I´ve been doing some work now since last night.
I tried to surf through a cell phone modem and it worked excellent. No problems at all.
So my conclusion so far is that it´s something wrong with the Airprt or something.
I also tried to reset the router without success.
Talk to you later today.
Øyvind
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the Airport Extreme?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I have Airport Extreme.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Okay then, let's look at how it is set up.
Open Airport Utility to see this.
graphic
Tell me what version of software you have you will be 7. something.
The next window will be after you click on manual setup.
graphic
If you could tell me what the wireless mode is, what kind of security you have, what channel you're using that would be helpful.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is the information from my system preferances:
Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)
configd plug-in: 6.2 (620.15.1)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)
AirPort Utility: 5.4.2 (542.23)
IO80211 Family: 3.1 (310.6)
Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
Firmware Version: Atheros 5424: 2.0.19.10
Locale: ETSI
Country Code:
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36,
40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132,
136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Status: Connected

The router we´re using is a WLAN-router with mobile broadband. The thing is that I am visiting my mother for Eastern, and I´m using her´s. I´ve used another one without problems before I came here.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That is all good information but is not what I wanted.
What I want is a software version the Airport extreme that you are using and what channel it is on.
If she is using an Airport extreme like the one that you are used to. Do you use proxies?
Or some other special type of setup that you would have in your network settings in your System Preferences?
It makes no sense for Skype to be able to function and nothing else. In these types of cases it is either all or nothing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is the kind of router I´m using. Sorry about the language:
http://www.ice.no/UserFiles/Manual/D35/Quick%20guide%20D-35.pdf

Where can I find Airport Utility?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Look in Applications/Utilities.
graphic
Or you can type it into the text box but the arrow is pointing at and it will show right where it is.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Airport Utility is version 5.4.2 (542.23).
The router I´m using is NOT an Apple product, so it doesn´t show.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Okay, let's start over.
Can you give me the make and model of the router that you are using at this time?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It´s called a Gateway D-35. You can find more information following this link:
Sorry, but I don´t have it in english.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
At this point I recommend an Archive and Install Preserving User And Network Settings.
A drastic solution but I can think of nothing else to do.
This link has a PDF explaining how to do it.
http://senduit.com/02ed95

Copy paste that into your browser and press return.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again!
I´ve upgraded to Snow Leopard receently. Can I use that disc, or do I have to have the original?

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That'll be just fine, you do not need to go backwards to do it the snow leopard disk will work fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Give me a few days to fix it. Thank you for the help this far. Talk to you later, Øyvind
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Okay, let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again!
I´m back at my own place now, and everything is working great!
No problems at all when I´m using my own broadband router.
I have no idea why this is so, but it´s a fact...
Am I supposed to pay you when I fixed this myself?
-Øyvind
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
My question to you is, Did I use my time and expertise to assist you?
Follow your conscience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure you did. I´m satisfied with that, but the advertisement says: "no fix-no pay".
A bit misleading, but I´ll pay you anyway, for good service.
Regards, Øyvind
PS. Do you know why my machine is working now with another router?
TS
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
The reason I suspectThat your computer works fine with a different router is the first router had issues.
They're just like any other machine, good ones, bad ones, some that work some of the time and some that don't.
Like I said, I suspect the router.
Thank you very much.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.