Ask Scott, The Computer Man Your Own Ques...

Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions
33891562

I downloaded several ringtones from Itunes. I have synced my

Customer Question

I downloaded several ringtones from Itunes. I have synced my I-Phone in the usual way but cannot find the ringtones that I purchased. Please advise. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Scott, The Computer Man replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you with your ringtone problem. You said that you had downloaded these ringtones in iTunes. What I would like you to do is please open up iTunes, and in the navigation bar on the left hand side you will see Music, Movies, etc...

In this list will be a category for Ringtones, please click on this and let me know if the ringtones you downloaded appear in this list. If they are there, please play them and make sure they play in iTunes.

Let me know the results and we'll continue from there.

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They show up and play on the library list but not on the listed Icon that says ringtones.

Very interesting...so they do show up in your general library but not under the Ringtone Icon. That is where your issue lies since iTunes is not recognizing these as ringtones they are not being installed on the iPhone as ringtones.

But we can fix this. Please let me know what version of iTunes you are using and then I'll send you some instructions to try so iTunes recognizes these as Ringtones.

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am using the latest version; version 9

Great, then this should not be too hard. I think what you may have done is actually bought a song on iTunes but you need to convert it to a ringtone. I don't think I asked if you were on a Mac or PC, but I'll give you directions for both.

1) Find one of the ringtones that you downloaded in your library.

2) On a Mac Ctrl-Click the ringtone, or on a PC right-click on the ringtone

3) From the menu that appears select "Create Ringtone"

4) You're going to select 30 seconds for use as the Ringtone and then click the buy button

5) Your ringtone should then show up in the Ringtone icon and you'll be able to sync it to your iPhone.

Let me know if you need any further assistance with this matter, and please don't forget to click the green "Accept Button" so that I may be paid for my service if it is resolved. Thanks.

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried this and there is no create ringtone option when you right click - I have already purchased these as a ringtone-so this is not an acceptable solution-

Perhaps you can tell me more about the process you used to purchase these ringtones from the iTunes store.

When you access the iTunes store from a computer it does not allow you to buy ringtones directly, you can purchase a song and then convert it into a ringtone.

You can purchase ringtones directly from your iPhone on the iTunes store and they will download directly into your iPhone. Then when you sync your iPhone it will copy those files to your iTunes.

So I'd like you to tell me more about your purchase process, and also one more thing...if you could please go to one of these ringtones in your iTunes and the right-click on a PC or Ctrl-Click on a Mac and choose "Get Info" from the menu that appears.

A dialog box will appear showing all kinds of information about that file. In the bottom of this dialog box is a section called "Where" which shows you where on your computer that file is stored. At the end of this long chain will be the extension of the file, it should say .m4r Please let me know what extension it says there. Thanks.

-Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That process has still not allowed me to sync them to my I-phone. This process is one I have alreay tried from a free app that is also available on the WEB.

I had asked you to perform that process so that I could get more information about what may be causing the ringtones not to sync to your iPhone. There are many reasons why these things can occur and only by getting information and ruling out certain things can I know what is causing your problem.

Please perform the process I asked which is using the Get Info to find the extension for one of those files and let me know what it says. And also please tell me more about how you purchased these ringtones, was it through iTunes on the phone? This way I can better understand what is going on in your computer to help you resolve your issue.

Thank you.

-scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did the process you described and right clicked, etc to get Info on the ringtone that I purchased- There is no area in any of the drop down boxes that tells me where this file is stored---
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked more closely and it does say that it is stored in C:\Users\Randi\music\tunesmusic\ringtones\01 say.m4r
Thank you for performing what I asked. This is good, we are getting somewhere. What I'd like you to do is do the get info thing again but this time when the window opens click on the "Options" tab. In there you will see 2 boxes one called "Start Time" and one called "End Time" please give me the times in both of those boxes. Then we'll proceed from there. Thanks. -Scott
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The start time is 0.00 and the end time is 0.15.405. I am not using a MAC but PC/Windows, just an FYI.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The start time is 0.00 and the end time is 0.15.405. I am not using a MAC but PC/Windows, just an FYI. This seems to be more of a wild goose chase than any substantive help with this problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The start time is 0.00 and the end time is 0.15.405. I am not using a MAC but PC/Windows, just an FYI. This seems to be more of a wild goose chase than any substantive help witht his problem.
I'm sorry you feel this way all these questions are part of the diagnostic process. I'll opt out so another expert can help you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will look forward to additional input-