MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

On my iMac G5, I am continually bugged to let dotmacsy

Customer Question

On my iMac G5, I am continually bugged to let "dotmacsyncclient" use my keychain login.
Same for "dmnotifyd". I have nothing to sync, nor do I particularly want Mac monitoring my computing. Can I turn this off somehow?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
• Click on the Apple menu icon and select System Preferences
• Within System Preferences, select MobileMe

graphic

• On the MobileMe page, select the Sync tab and make sure the Synchronize with
MobileMe:
check box is not checked. If it is, uncheck it.

graphic

Once you are done with this screen, close out of System Preferences.

Let me know if this helps.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Terry, I am not a mobile me subscriber, and also, I'm using 10.4.11 software, which is more than adequate for me. Mobil Me doesn't appear, so I clicked on .mac, and tried your idea, but so far, it doesn't do any thing but start the "spinning wheel of death". So, I really can't effectively try your fix. This thing comes from Apple, so I don't know if I can stop it without writing some script which I don' know how to do. Any other ideas?
No worries and thanks for your reply.

In that case, let's see if this may be a disk permissions issue with the "dotmacsyncclient" and "dmnotifyd".

What I would like to recommend you try is to run Disk Utility with your Mac OS X installation disk (if you have it) in order to correct this issue. If you do not have your installation disk for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, then stop here and reply back to this case and I will provide more support options for you.

-RUN DISK UTILITY WITH STARTUP DISK-

Insert your Mac OS X Startup disk
•Reboot your Mac
•At the Apple Chime, press the C key and hold it until you see a White screen, gray Apple and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
•Mac will boot from the startup disk to the Installer environment
• From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utility run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac font.f1 {font: 13.0px 'Myriad Pro'}

When back at your Desktop, check your environment and let me know if there is any difference in regards XXXXX XXXXX keychain popup messages appearing or not.

Please let me know if this helps.

I will watch for your next post.

Warmest Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Terry, this is an inquiry that originates from Apple. They want to monitor my mac use for marketing purposes. I don't think it has anything to do with my disk permissions. They are asking me to let them into my keychain passwords, etc.