Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

change email from gmail business account(@mydamin.com) to a

Customer Question

change email from gmail business account(@mydamin.com) to a yahoo. Wondering is ther anyway to keep this email with a new name and just redirect my setting to start receiving email in the yahoo account
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes in your Gmail account if you login from the browser go to Settings/Forwarding and POP/IMAP and next to Forwarding check Forward a copy of incoming mail to and put in your Yahoo address.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what if the new yahoo address will be the same? I basically don't want to use this gmail business account anymore but i want to be able to access all the archived files etc.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Is the Yahoo account a Plus account? I don't know any way to export all the old mail but if you are using a Yahoo Plus account you cam use Apple Mail and just put both accounts in there to access at any time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What diffence does it make if its a yahoo plus account? But once I redirect we DNS mail will no longer to gmail account. but will i still be able to access it? Is there any possibility to discuss this over the phone?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No can't use phone, sorry. Once you set to forward the mail from the Gmail account all new mail will also be sent to your Yahoo address. Not your old mail. You cannot use a mail program other than a web browser for the free Yahoo account only the $19.99 a year Yahoo Plus account.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand that the mail will be sent to the new email my question is can i access the defunct gmil account was the DNS settings have been redirected? or will that account shut down and take all the information in folders/labels and archived with it?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No, if it is a work Gmail account it is up to your employer whether to close the account or not. Just forwarding will not close it. DNS has nothing to do with it. I found a way to export your Gmail to Yahoo:

You need to enable pop3 on your Gmail account via the settings tab. There are directions on Gmail's site here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13273

After you have done that, you can have Yahoo! import email from pop3 account, just like any other pop3 account. The directions for doing this are here:

http://email.about.com/od/yahoomailtip1/qt/How_to_Check_Other_Email_Accounts_with_Yahoo_Mail.htm

The pop3 settings for Gmail are:

pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995

For user, use your fullXXX@XXXXXX.XXX account, and for password XXXXX Gmail password.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 4/1/2010 at 5:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay Yo have been for helpful and patient one last question. you are basically saying I can just redirect to yahoo with out needing to close the gmail account?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes, in Settings on your Gmail account
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are amazing! I thought this whole process was going to be so much more complicated. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Great!
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the feedback! I just want to point out that if you use the POP method you do not need to setup forwarding. Yahoo will just get the mail from the POP account.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wanted to ask another question wasn't sure how to make sure i got yo again so i just gave you a bonus $18.00. Here goes. Do i need to change email on blackberry to yahoo account?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes you need to switch to Yahoo. Thank you very much. You can come back here if you still have a problem.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 4/1/2010 at 6:28 PM EST