Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have two Documents folders today. A copy of the Documents

Customer Question

I have two Documents folders today. A copy of the Documents folder appeared on the Desktop. One is in my hard drive under my user name and a new one is on the Desktop. I would like to get rid of the one on the Desktop, but it seems to be the one used by the sidebar icon. When I drag it to the trash, I can no longer use the side bar icon to access my documents.

I don't want two Document folders! How do I get rid the one on the Desktop?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
When you drag the one that's on your desktop to its proper location and you drop it do you get a dialog box telling you you have to authorize it? If so then you click on authorize and type in your password, this will tell the computer that it is okay to do this.
It can get tricky changing permissions on folders and files a person can get into a lot trouble doing that.
I do recommend Repairing Permissions with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities.
graphic
This repairs all the permissions on your machine so that one thing knows what another thing is able to do and not do.
Repeat the steps of placing the documents folder where it longs and then tell me exactly with the dialog box tells you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Perhaps I just didn't scroll down far enough. I tried what you suggested and only got a copy of the Desktop Documents folder placed within the hard drive Documents folder under my user name.

Marjorie X
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Marjorie, what do you mean by a copy, you mean a folder with a small arrow in the corner?
To move the folder from your desktop to its proper location hold down the Control and Command keys together, then drag the folder where supposed to go.
It will ask if you wish to replace and you will probably have to authorize it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I held down the command and option keys while dragging the Documents folder on the Desktop to the Macintosh Hard Driver under my user name, it just left a "Documents alias" in the file. The Documents folder is still on the Desktop. When I tried putting it in the Trash, the sidebar icon I habitually use to access my documents won't work, so I took it back out.

The Documents folder on the desktop and the documents folder under my user name (that's where it has been since I got this computer) are almost identical. I do not want to use the documents until I can have only one folder--I don't want one of them to be up to date and the other not up-to-date. I need to have only one.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
I did not say command and option I said control and command.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The Documents folder on the desktop and the documents folder under my user name (that's where it has been since I got this computer) are almost identical. I do not want to use the documents until I can have only one folder--I don't want one of them to be up to date and the other not up-to-date. I need to have only one--(besides my backup which is on a different drive).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

More:

I can't seem to get anywhere when I click on "reply to expert" and there is a red message on this screen that says "Message added already."

I tried holding down the control and command key (sorry about that, I'm getting very frustrated because I need to do financial work on my machine and need the Documents file badly) and I got this message:

This operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

I can't seem to get
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Then please follow my instructions.
Hold down the Control and the Command keys then drag and drop the folder where it belongs in your hard drive.
That moves it, it does not copy it, it does not make an alias, it actually moves it back to its proper location.
It will say there is already one there or some such stuff click on Authorize and then enter your password.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I did it one more time. I clicked on the desktop Documents folder and then on control and command and dragged it to the (opened) Macintosh Hard Drive and dropped it on top of the Documents folder under my user name. First I was asked if I wanted to replace the existing folder with the one I was moving. When I said yes, it gave me the same message as before, "This operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items."

I am the only one that uses this computer and I am the administrator. However, there are two users because I transferred all the data from a former computer into another user file. Under System Preferences I have permission to read and write. (I didn't actually change anything there: I just checked to make sure that was what it said.)

I have to be away from my computer this afternoon so I can't continue working on this now. If you answer right away, I'll get the message. Do you think it would be best to give up on this for now and try again tonight after dinner?
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
With that dialogue should have been a button for Authorize.
Was that not there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I wrote down exactly what the message said. I'll try one more time.

The same thing keeps happening. I don't get any opportunity to authorize, just the same message that I don't have permission to access some of the items.

I need to stop working on this now. I'll try again this evening.

Thanks for your help--i wish I could talk to you because I keep thinking there must be something that isn't being clearly communicated by one of us.

Marjorie
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Until this evening, I will be thinking about ways that might be giving us a problem.
I should have something more for you by tonight.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dan,

I managed to fix the problem on my own. I used the Disk Utility program after booting from my installation disk, checked the hard drive and found it needed fixing, repaired the disk and now everything is working as it should. I should have tried this first.

I don't think this was the result of anything you suggested to me and I don't think I should be charged by you.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX trying to help.
Customer