Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hi, Im using iMovie 5.0.2. When I try to add an effect, in

Customer Question

I'm using iMovie 5.0.2. When I try to add an effect, in this case fast/slow/reverse, I select the clip, go to effects. Before I choose the effect the buttons 'preview & apply' are active. When I select fast/slow/reverse it previews the clip in fast/slow but the apply button goes gray and does not allow me to 'apply' the effect. With all other effects the apply button stays active through the preview and allows me to apply the effect.

Am I doing something wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello Bernie, my name is Dan.
There are a couple of things that you can do.
1) Repair permissions with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities. Looks like this.
This is the first thing you do when things don't act quite the way they should.
Not that this is going to solve every problem but it is a good place to start.
2) The next thing I recommend is running Software Update from the Apple menu in the upper left corner.
Just to make sure that your iMovie is up-to-date.
3) I also recommend finding a copy of iMovie HD which is a part of iLife 06.
It was much more stable and easier to use than iMovie 5.
4) I also recommend SlickG 3 iMovie effects found at this site GeeThree: Slick Transition X Series
I use these a lot there are some free ones that are okay but I bought several of them and am very happy.
5) The last thing I can tell you is to reinstall iMovie, this may repair what is broken in that transition.
Let me know.