Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My computer may have overheated. Before it froze, many applications

Customer Question

My computer may have overheated. Before it froze, many applications were running. it slipped off the arm of the couch onto a cushion below [not really a fall]. It will start up [logo and blinking key] and then wait 30 sec on the same screen before it has the same power up sound and it goes back to the same screen. There is no fan power up sounds. What's wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I don't know what you mean by "blinking key" but you should do this:

Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok, Repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair Disk.