Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi I restarted my macbook after uploading a new version of

Customer Question

Hi I restarted my macbook after uploading a new version of flash or adobe flash something like that and it turned back on with just a question mark flashing infront of a folder. I turned it off again manually, waited a few minutes, turned it back on with the same results. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, not to hand
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
The folder with question mark (?) means that your Mac was unable to find the startup disk in order to boot your Mac OS. This is because of either the Mac OS ssystem files are corrupted or failure of hard disk. We're not sure whether the problem is with hardware or software...So try these steps...

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Option key till you are able to see the start up option. From there, if you can see the Macintosh HD then select it and press return key on your keyboard.

Restart in SafeMode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

(only click accept after it worked)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got to the HD and assumed selecting it with the arrow below is what you meant...pressed return and got the flashing question mark again
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay...sounds like you need to do an Archive and Install. To do Archive and Install, you need the disks. Anyway to get the disks ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I recently moved, just had a look around and no. They are in storage. Can I use a friend's disks if they are mac? i know several mac users
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Do they have the same Macbook you have or do they have a Mac OS X Retail disks ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well, the friend that isn't answering the phone has a macbook. I can try my friend who doesn't have a macbook he's a graphic designer and has some desktop mac, not a laptop. should I try him?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
That might not work, because they will only work on desktops (same version). You'll get an error message saying "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer", anyway try it.

When you get it, you can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

I hope it won't be hardware issue...

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to get the disks from one of my macbook friends since you think the other probably won't work. If I accept this answer do I lose this trail? I will need it...
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
No, and don't accept the answer now. Only accept it after we solve the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wow, that's pretty cool of you. Thanks. I'm going to go find either my own or a friends installation disks. thanks for your help so far. Betsy x
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Good Luck !