Ask Scott, The Computer Man Your Own Ques...

Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions

Unable to get my iPhone blue tooth to connect to the gps in

Unable to get my iPhone blue tooth to connect to the gps in my car they will not sink together

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you with your iPhone problem but first I'm going to need some more information. You say you're trying to sync your iPhone with your GPS but I'm not sure why. Can you please clarify the reason, and what goal you are trying to achieve with this? Also please let me know what model of iPhone you have and the firmware version it is running, and what model of GPS you have. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a brand new iPhone 16 GB and the GPS is a Garmin Nuvi and the reason I want them to sync is so that I can use the phone in the car hands free and talk through the gps like I have been doing with all my previous phones and they normally just pick up the Garmin even other people get in the car and the Garmin will pick them up but at the moment the Garmin does not even reconise that the iPhone is there.

Thanks I understand what you are trying to do now. In order for the Garmin to work with the iPhone the phone needs to be paired with the Garmin. In order to do this the iPhone needs to be set to "Discoverable" mode in order for the Garmin to pair with it. Once the 2 units are paired it will always automatically detect the iPhone when it comes in close proximity with it.

Here are the instructions for putting your iPhone into discoverable mode, then you can execute the pairing process on the Garmin:

1) Turn the iPhone on

2) Launch Settings

3) Choose "General"

4) Choose "Bluetooth"

5) Make sure Bluetooth is set to "On"

6) If it is then turn it to "Off" wait 10 seconds and turn it back "On"

7) Now you can go to the Garmin and follow their directions for pairing

Let me know if you have any further questions and please don't forget to click the green "Accept Answer" button so that I may be paid for my service. Thank you.

Edited by Scott, The Computer Man on 4/1/2010 at 11:55 PM EST