Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

have changed the hard drive in a 17 MBP, replacing the OEM

have changed the hard drive in a 17" MBP, replacing the OEM with a Seagate 500GB, 7200. Cloning with SuperDuper was a breeze and the MBP booted from the new drive choosing Alt during start-up with no problems what so ever.

The problems occourd after the new drive was installed in the MBP. It shows the gray screen with the apple logo and the wheel is spinning, but it does not move on to the log-in screen.

I have switched the drive back to the external cabinet and it its still working fine from there, but for some reason it will not boot properly when mounted in the MBP.

I have done this before with another MBP with no difficulties, but that was before Snow Leopard.

Any ideas
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Are you running 10.6.2?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am running 10.6.2.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
You might need to reset the power management.

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's battery.

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.

Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.

Step 1: Make sure computer is still off.

Step 2: Locate the following 4 keys on the keyboard: Command (Apple key) , Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 3. You must do step 3 prior to the Apple logo from appearing on the screen otherwise you must shutdown and try again.

Step 3: Turn on computer and immediately hold down the Command (Apple key ) & Option & P & R key all at the same time.

Keep holding them down. The computer will restart and on the third time you hear a chime you can let go and your computer will start up as normal.

If the above does not solve it, then do the following:

Lastly, try starting your computer using safe boot. This performs some system maintenance.

To perform a safe boot do the following:

• Be sure the computer is shut down.
• Press the power button.
• Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
• Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
• Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Once it starts up, Restart the computer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestions. We have gone through steps 1-3 and have tried the safe boot where we get the apple but not the progress indicator. Should it take a lot longer than normal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Edit: We managed to get the safe boot startet, but the horizontal progress bar do only go approx 1/3 of the way before it stops. The activity wheel keeps spinning after that, but with no further progress.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Unplug all peripherals from the computer if you have any. printers, scanner, external hard drive, etc.

Reboot

If it is still stuck, Run the computer in verbose mode and let me know at what point it is getting stuck at.

Starting up in verbose mode

1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "v" key for verbose mode. (Command-V)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It recorded about 50-60 lines of different info, and stopped after typing:

com_parallells_kext_prl_vnic_device_1: Ethernet address 00:1c:42:00:00:09
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And after a long wait, it added:

SATA Warning: Enable Drive PHY PM failed.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
At this point, I would check with disk utility the drive condition

Try running Disk Utility to see if your hard drive has any errors on it from the snow Leopard DVD.

Put the DVD into your drive. Restart your computer.
Hold Down the C key on your keyboard

At the welcome screen, a menu will appear at the top. Select UTILITIES and then DISK UTILITIES.
*Utilities will appear all the way at the top.*

Once the DISK UTILITY opens, select your hard disk from the list on the left
Press the REPAIR DISK button.

Also repair permissions.
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can this be done from another drive? We do not have the DVD where we are now on easter holidays.
What if we put the original disk back in and run this on the new disk mounted in the external cabinet?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes that would work. Let me know if it turns up anything.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We booted from the old disk in the external cabinet and run the "Verify disk", "Repair disk", "Verify permissions" and "Repair Permissions" on the new disk. The only message we recieved was a SUID warning that according to Apple Support pages can be safely ignored.

When we try booting the grey apple shows and the wheel is spinning but no further progress.