Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have just installed Office 2008 and suddenly I discovered

Customer Question

I have just installed Office 2008 and suddenly I discovered my network settings have been frozen with the message "your network settings have been changed by another application" I cannot clear this message to access my network settings at all.

What can I do?

Thanks XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

I found this thread at Apple Discussions. It describes a fix.

Make sure to write down your network settings first as this process will delete all your network settings. You will need to re-type them all in to get access to the network and other net services.

Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and move these files to desktop

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

Another way to fix it is to very quickly click on the Pop-up menu behind the error message right after you click on it. This has also worked for some people.

Apple is aware of this and hopefully will fix it.

Only Click Accept after it worked.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your solution seems to correct the problem temporarily.
When I select network options again, the message reappers exactly as it was. It seems to somehow be connected to my 3G modem connection. How do I fix this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried moving the files i suggested ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No! I was afraid to lose all my settings. Where do I need to copy them from to restore them?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Click quickly on menus behind message and open Each Settings and note down everything, like IP Address, Proxy, User names etc. or you can call your network provider and they'll guide you through it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right! I have moved the files to the desktop as instructed, restarted computer and nothing has changed.

I did not find com.apple.airport.preferences.plist in folder described.

Should these files be trashed? before restarting
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Nothing Changed ??hmm...can you see the files in here : Macintosh HD/Users/user name/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no! there is no System config file under user's library.

After moving the files from the other pref library, they still remained in original folder as well as on the desktop.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
System Preferences have created new preference files, now you can trash the old ones. Also trash new ones, restart your Mac and try Network
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK!!! Once I trashed those files, everything works fine.

The only misdirection was not moving the files to the trash instead of desktop as you directed me to do.

Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We just need to take that files away from that SystemConfiguration folder.OKay...glad that worked.

Best Regards,