Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college

Upgraded from Tiger OS X10.4.11 to Leopard OS X10.5.8 with

Customer Question

Upgraded from Tiger OS X10.4.11 to Leopard OS X10.5.8 with loaner disc. No problems with iphone sync & iCal search before. Now neither are working. Have tried several methods and none seem to work. Have iMac G5, Power Mac 8.2, CPU Speed 2 ghz, Memory 2 Gig RAM, buss speed 667 MHz. iPhone is 3G, iPod 30G syncs fine with new OS
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using

When you plug your iphone into your Mac, does your iphone say anything on the screen?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not that I've noticed. The iPhoto comes up on the Mac and downloads any photos I have recently taken. The iTunes does not even activate and begin syncing (which was the custom in the past). When I manually open iTunes with the iphone plugged in, I don't see any syncing process. When I pull down the iTunes preferences menu, and look at devices, it shows my iPhone in the box (but not my iPod). I have highlighted the iPhone with my mouse several times, then closed the devices window, but nothing has changed. Perhaps there is something which I must do to the iPhone (preferences, etc.) to activate the syncing.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Try deleting the preference file.

Close Itunes and unplug your iphone from computer

Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock. Click on Go at the very top and Choose Home

This will bring up your home folder. Go into a folder called Library and then another folder called Preferences. Move the file to the desktop.

Plug iphone into your computer. Start Itunes. Try to click on your iphone and then the info tab. Make sure calendar and contacts is checked.

If this does solve it, next I would reinstall Itunes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I tried what you suggested. This did make it so that I could sync some things. One thing which did not sync was the address book. This is important to me since I need to be able to transfer items and info that I've typed into the address book over to my iPhone.
Secondly, I mentioned that I could not get the iCal search mechanism to work properly. This is also important since I often times need to search data typed in my calendars. You did not give me any solutions nor address this problem. As a offshoot to this, my iPhone does update the calendar from the computer.
Taking all things into account, I will most likely proceed to the Apple store and have them give me advice on the computer. I stopped at a cellphone booth a few days ago and they told me that the AT&T tech support staff would walk me through the total iPhone assistance as part of their services. Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
I was going through each issue, I realize I did not give you an ical solution. Good Luck and let me know if you want to continue.