Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Dual Core running Leopard

Customer Question

I have a MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Dual Core running Leopard upgraded to 10.5.8 with 4G Ram

I am trying to produce a movie using iMovie 09 the movie is 342MB and I have 259G available on my hard drive.

iMovie freezes within seconds of me opening it I have to force quit to get out of the program.

I did a system update this morning but it didn't help.

Do you have any suggestions
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Have you did anything prior to this problem ? (like adding musics, transitions etc)

Are those movies are stored in Internal or External Hard drive ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had been working on the project for several days adding voice overs photos music etc. without any problem.

Then it began to take longer to accept them and the spinning ball started to come up but the program didn't freeze.

The next time I opened the project it loaded the curser came up for a few seconds then the revolving ball just kept on spinning and I was unable to do anything not even quit.

I forced quit and the window came up saying IMovie not responding.

I am working on the movie on the internal Hard Drive
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest removing imovies plist file and seeing if imovie opens up. The plist file is located in mac hd>users>your user>library>preferences look for a file called com.apple.imovie.plist. move that file to your desktop then open imovie. If this does not work try in a new user.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That was the first thing I tried but it doesn't make any difference.

What do you mean by "If this does not work try in a new user.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in response...Close iMovie and trash this file com.apple.iMovie.plist files from ~/Library/Preferences/ and ~/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ (Don't Empty the trash)

Then goto ~/Library/QuickTime/ and trash non-apple components. (Don't empty the trash)
AppleIntermediateCodec.component
AppleMPEG2Codec.component
Perian.component

If you have more than three components then trash them (don't empty the trash).

Then download and install the latest version of quicktime : Click Here

Then run Disk Utility (Repair Disk and Repair Permission) from ~/Applications/Utilities/

Restart your Mac and open iMovie....

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

When I tried to remove the components you mentioned in the Quicktime file I found I did not have them.
I have since discovered that this is because I have iMovie 08 not 09 as I was led to believe when I purchased the computer.

I removed the iMovie preference file again and installed the Quicktime as you suggested and also ran Disc Utility it didn’t make any difference.

I removed the project from the iMovies Project file to the desktop and started a new project everything worked fine.

So it would appear my problem is not with the iMovie program itself it is only with this one project I have been working on for weeks and I really don’t want to have to trash it and start again.

This project is only 342mb and I have done projects previously on my G4 laptop using iMovie 5 these movies were between 1 & 3.5 Gig and although they slowed down over 3gig they didn’t freeze.

I though it may have been a shortage of memory allocated to the program but unlike in system 9 I do not know if there is a way to allocate additional memory to the program.

Because it is freezing within seconds of starting up I can’t even remove some of the photos, voice overs or music to reduce its size.

Is there any other way of removing any of these things without opening the project?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
How much free space left on your internal hd ?

Did you tried trashing the latest media (movie, music or transitions) added to iMovie ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have 261G left on a 500G HD

Can't trash them as the IMovie crashes within seconds of opening the project.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you know where the movies (you used in iMovie) are saved ?

Do you remember the last thing you did prior to this problem ?

Edited by Ashik on 4/4/2010 at 7:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are no movies I am only using photos and the IMovie projects are in the Movies Folder.

I did a voice over
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Are the photos are from iPhoto ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
May be rebuilding iPhoto library will help, i hope so. Go to ~/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ and trash this file com.apple.iMovie0x.plist

Now rebuild iPhoto library..

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/check boxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Once it completed, open iMovie. Good Luck !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No Luck it is still freezing.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
My last suggestion, create a new Administrator account by going to Apple menu > System Preferences > Accounts. Log-out and log in to the new account. Open iMovie in new account and open the project from your old account (Macintosh HD > Users > old account )
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This time it lasted about 60 sec before freezing
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..i'm out of ideas. I will opt out and open this question to other experts.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trying let's hope someone can help
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Success!!!

It appears to have been the last music track I added which caused the problem.

I used the new account as you suggested, but this time I put a copy in the new account iMovie projects file and opened it from there.

It still froze but on my 4th attempt it stayed open just long enough for me to delete the last music track and quit.

When I reopened it, it worked.

I copied it back to the original account and can now also open it from there.

Just to confirm this was the problem I added the track again and Bingo it froze.

What would cause this?

The track is only 3min long and I have used this exact same track 9 times in my movie why would this last one cause a freeze?

Is 10 the unlucky number?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction with a new user.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
WOW ! Glad you sorted it out !Smile I'm pretty sure it'd be something that you last added to your project. Thats why i asked this question "Did you tried trashing the latest media (movie, music or transitions) added to iMovie ? "
Anyway, you have a good a solution and i can use your information in future, now i'm saving this thread. Thanks !

Problem : Unknown ! I don't know. But, just convert the music (copy) into some other format like MP3,AAC, WAV etc and import it into iMovie (make backup of project first) and may be that should work in last part.

You can use this online converter to convert the musics track. (Let me know if you need instructions for using it )

Just open the music track in converter, select output (AAC, MP3 or WAV) and enter your email address and convert it.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As you suggested I converted the file to an mp3 but the same thing happened it may be a memory problem rather than the specific audio track as I tried another audio track and that froze it as well.

I wonder if there is a limit to the number of audio tracks that can be used or a limit to the length of a movie.
The problem movie was 34.21 min long once I removed the audio track it was 31.12 min

Anyway I have rescued the movie and split it up just to be safe.

Thanks for you help and the Zamzar site, which could be very helpful in the future.

Thanks again
Barb
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
If you like my service, please click Accept and please leave a Positive Feedback to me.

Best Regards,