Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am having difficulties with my Time Capsule continually dropping

I am having difficulties with my Time Capsule continually dropping the wireless connection. The connection to the Time capsule via airport is fine but I keep losing the internet connection. There are at least three pieces of hardware (2 laptops and my iPhone) that are trying to use the wireless but I've found that sometimes late at night when my laptop is the only client it will still occassionally drop the signal. The only solution I have found so far is to restart the Time Capsule which is annoying especially when you have to do it several times in an evening.

My laptop is a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Book Pro. The TimeCapsule is less than a year old. I'm on Telus which I know has the 2 pieces of hardware restriction so I believe I have my Time Machine registered as one of the hardware.

It's been frustrating. Any thoughts?
Hello, my name is Dan.
Can you tell me what software version you have on the Time Capsule, is it 7.3.2 or 7.4.1 or 7.4.2?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
7.5.1
I'm not sure what you mean by three pieces of hardware, does this mean three computers using one shared IP address, does the modem count as a device or piece of hardware.
If it's the number of computers plus the router plus the modem then you are over the limit.
Can I assume that this is the only ISP in the area?
If you connect one computer directly to the modem bypassing the Time Capsule are there issues?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry. There are two laptops and my iPhone that use the wireless signal. The two pieces of hardware registered to Telus are one of the laptops and the Time Capsule. If the laptop gets connected directly to the modem bypassing the time Capsule, no problems.

Essentially, the set up is, I'm staying with some friends. They live upstairs and I'm downstairs in their basement suite. They had internet but not a wireless setup. I had my Time Capsule so I offered to hook it up so we could all have wireless internet access. It has been a disaster.

I'm just trying to figure out why the wireless has such a difficult time maintaining a connection. I had to reboot the Time Capsule every hour last night which was incredibly annoying. Let me know if this clears things up or if you have any more questions.

Thank you for your time on this.

T
That explains some things. I suggest unplugging the modem and the Time Capsule, then plugging the modem back in making certain that it is connected to the Time Capsule and plug in the time capsule back in.
This causes them to handshake so that they play nice together so to speak.
And as far as registering hardware at this time the modem and the Time Capsule are the only two pieces of hardware that tellers should see. Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had done that previous but did it again in case I had done it in the wrong order. an hour later Time Capsule dropped the wireless signal again and I had to restart it. Any other suggestions? The cordless phone is not near the TC and as near as I can tell, I don't seem to have anything that would interfere with the signal (according to Apple's list anyways)

T
The only thing I have left is an Archive and Install Preserving User and Network Settings,
this installs an entirely new operating system but does keep your network settings.
The other thing I might suggest is using your home Library/Preferences/By Host and find this file 'com.apple.networkConnect.0016cb8b8a19.plist' and drag that to the desk top.
Now restart and see what happens.
You should have to reset your network connections.
If that doesn't change anything and put it back where you found it and will try something different.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry Daniel I've been away for a couple of days.

I found the Archive function but it's asking me to connect a drive via USB which I don't have. I wasn't able to find an Install functionality though besides reinstalling the AirPort Utility via the CD which I am guessing is not it.

I was also not able to find the plist filein the library folder. I did a search of all of the files in my computer and came up empty. Is that perhaps the problem?

After careful reconsideration it may not be an archive and install that you need.
Your Time Capsule from what I have been able to find is not malfunctioning.
Your Apple tech was correct in that Telus does not like to play nice.
I don't know what else I can help you there because it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.
It's one of those intermittent things that is very hard to track down. Sorry.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No worries. Thank you for trying
Wish I had something better for you, thank you for the accept I do appreciate.
Have a safe and happy Easter, He is Risen.