David Kirk
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.
32665769

WHY do I lose ALL formatting when I reply to OR forward an

WHY do I lose ALL formatting when I reply to OR forward an email? I am using a Mac with OSX 10.4.11. It is wonderful for everything else I need to do, and I wouldn't have a PC if you gave it to me. I have had AOL email ever since I first got email . . . but I'm ready to switch. I am on the free web-based email, because there were no other options presented for Macintosh.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David Kirk replied 4 years ago.
So, are you using AOL's webmail, or did you get an account from another provider?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
AOL's free webmail
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replied and have heard nothing from you. How much more time is needed?
Go to Settings in the top right corner.
In the Compose section, make sure "Use Rich Text / HTML Editing" is checked. (3rd down)

You could also setup your AOL account in Apple's Mail program using IMAP.

AOL provides instructions for that here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In the Compose section, only two options are available for checking. They are:
___ Always show Cc field
___ Always show Bcc field

Sections are: Compose, Signature, Your Name, Display Name, Outbound Character set (with Unicode UTF-8 checked), Sending, Message Footer
Hmm, their should also be a Rich Text / HTML section as shown in the screenshot I've attached.

However, it appears that AOL doesn't officially support the Safari browser under their help section. this is really strange, because I just tested in Safari on my Macbook.
graphic
You could also install Firefox and see if you have the same problem.
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK . . . I can accept that you have done the best you can. Stupid AOL! I have a bellsouth.net email with my DSL line. I assume that if they support Safari, I can use it . . . or do you know of other email providers that would work with Mac and Safari?

After the question above, I will click on "Accept Answer" so you can get paid. I just got a MacBook (older one) through the non-profit for which I volunteer, but I don't have my software yet.

FYI, are you familiar with TechSoup, an online organization that lets 501(c)(3) organizations acquire software for a fraction of the "regular" cost? Microsoft Office 2008, for example, will cost a nonprofit $16. If not, check it out at www.TechSoup.org (or may be TechSoup.com). They also provide some hardware items. My Adobe CS4 Design Premium for the volunteer organization's PC cost about 10% of the normal cost for the suite.

I will try installing Firefox. Thanks!
I've used Gmail for several years and been very happy with it on both Macs and PCs and my blackberry. My wife uses Yahoo mail and has never had any issues on Macs either. It's actually really lame that AOL doesn't support Safari, since it's the default browser on Macs.

You can also setup Gmail with IMAP on the Apple Mail program which is included on all Macs if you want to access your email through a program similar to Outlook. I would stay away from Microsoft Entourage, it's NOT Outlook. I've run into issues using it.

That's pretty cool about TechSoup.com, never heard of it before.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I clicked on "Accept Answer" before I received your last reply this morning. Please let me know if you have NOT received payment notice. If you have received and are satisfied, I am also and no need to reply. Many thanks for all your help!

Janet Bentley
Yep, we're good. Thanks!