Ask Scott, The Computer Man Your Own Ques...

Scott, The Computer Man
Scott, The Computer Man, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions

I have a much loved Canon Multifunction F50 which I very much

I have a much loved Canon Multifunction F50 which I very much want to use with my new Macbook Pro version 10.6. How do I do this?- I can't find a Mac driver for it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Scott, The Computer Man replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you with your printer issue. As your Multifunction F50 is "much loved" you may not like what I'm going to tell you. This printer is officially not supported with OS 10.6, which is why you cannot find drivers for it.

Now having said that there is a possible workaround that may get this printer to function. Please bear in mind that this is not an official fix and therefore there is a very good possibility that this will not work at all, but it is worth a shot, here are the steps:

1. Download the latest driver for your printer from the Canon website you can find
  2. Mount the disk image and copy the installer package to your desktop.
  3. Control-click on the package and choose Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu.
  4. Navigate to Contents » Resources and delete the file InstallationCheck.
  5. Now double-click the package and install the drivers normally.

Hopefully this will do something for you, good luck. Let me know how it turns out and please don't forget to click the green "Accept Answer" button so that I can be paid for my service. Thanks.

-Scott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
I'll try the fix - I just knew there'd be something to try.
A couple of questions before I Accept Answer!
Do you mean I should download the latest PC or Mac driver? I think you mean PC.
What does "mount the disk image" mean?
How do I let you know if it works?

No I actually mean the latest Mac driver. The PC driver will definitely not work for you. As for "Mount the disk image" it basically just means to double-click on the file so it opens a window with the disk contents. After you accept the question you can still add to this thread, that's how you'll let me know. Thanks

Experience: Over 15 years providing expert technical support on all Mac computer systems, for major institutions