Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

I am running version 10.4.11 of Mac OS X. I have an extensive

Customer Question

I am running version 10.4.11 of Mac OS X. I have an extensive list of contacts which I want to export to a Dell Inspiron Mini running Windows XP. The mini only has Microsoft Works.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 6 years ago.
Do you use gmail at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no.
Do you know what application your planning to use on your mini 9?
If you going to use XP's default address book that is located in Start > All Programs > Accessories. You will need to export from apple's address book as csv file. Then copy the csv file it gives you to the mini 9. Then open XP's address and import the csv file. This is done by in the Address Book, click on file then choose Import, and then click Other Address Book. Then choose the csv file you copied over.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pardon my denseness. What is a csv file?
Csv stands for Comma-separated values.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, again. How do I create a csv file on my mac and how do I get it over to the mini?
Sorry, I forgot there isn't a easy way to export address book to csv. I know there is a third party app that will ...
I'm looking for it now.
I found it. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/addressbooktocsvexporter.html

After you get the csv file just copy it to a jump drive then follow the import settings from before.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hasn't worked yet. I've got the csv file on the desktop of the mini. I pull up the address book and got to Import and click Another Addrss Book. I then get a list from which I choose TextFile(csv) and I press Import. It then asks me to choose what I want to import and I choose the AddressBook.csv. It then asks me to choose items to go in columns. The first column peculiarly is "bÿ". Then it's Column 1, Column 2, etc. I put "name" and "email address" in two of the columns and press Finish. A box then comes up which says "Import complete" but there is nothing new in the mini's address book. Where did all those imports go?
Sounds like that program didn't export the address correctly. Can you please try this one for me.
http://homepage.mac.com/kenferry/software.html#AddressBookToCSV
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It worked. Thank you.
Glad to hear that.