John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I am using excel (2004 version) on 2008 macbook using Snow

I am using excel (2004 version) on 2008 macbook using Snow Leopard operating system. I put a list into a Pivot table. Somehow I did something wrong as I get a popup saying Cannot enter null value as an item or field name in a pivot table. I tried to delete the page with the pivot table, move to another page in workbook,close Excel and turn off the computer, but each time the same popup about the null value pops up. Would simply pulling the plug cause more problems? What else should I do?

If you can send me that file I will be happy to try to fix it for you.

To send the file go to and upload it there. You will then get a page that has the download link. Copy the download link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is sensitive information in this file. Here is the download link from wikisend management.xls
Since I can not at this time close the excel program, the income management file or turn off the computer without that popup appearing, I will put the machine to sleep in an half hour. Would I do any damage to the laptop or the excel program if I unplugged the computer? I am concerned that I will not be able to use the machine tommorow, and thought that unplugging the computer would be another way to get rid of the popup, and hopefully use excel without problem. I do want to find out what I did wrong, so I won't do it again!

Ok, here is the file with the deleted pivot table

To delete the pivot table yourself, click anywhere on the Pivot Table, then click on the Option tab on the Ribbon, then in the Actions group, click Select, and then click Entire PivotTable, and press the DELETE. key.

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the assistance.