Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.

Is there any way to get Final Cut EXPRESS to read the MOV files

Is there any way to get Final Cut EXPRESS to read the MOV files created by the new JVC GY-HM100U?

I bought it without realizing that Final Cut PRO, but not FCE have the codecs to play the files.

While on the OS I can play the files, but only the audio is displayed, no video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 6 years ago.
You will need to install the follow codec to get the video files work with FCE.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already tried that as metioned above. It had no effect. Though, it is possible that I did not put these files in the right spot.

Could you guide me through the installation steps?

Thank you.
No problem, you would need to download and unzip each file then put the unzipped files into /Library/Quicktime. (Double click the hard drive, then double click Library, and then double click quicktime.)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
free Perian XDCAM component

GY-HM100U with final cut EXPRESS FCE

That is where I put the files according to the instructions and rebooted after doing so, but no success.

Am I suppose to take any particular file or folder from the uncompressed files and place them in my quick time library folder or the entire uncompressed folder?

When I uncompress the files this is what I get:

Thank you.
You only need to download these four zip files.,,, Each one only has one file in it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We are 99.9% there. I could kiss you, but I bet both of us would rather I just hit Accept Answer, which I will regardless if you answer this second part or not.

You have successfully gotten me to get FCE to play the MOV's created by my JVC GY-HM100U HD Camera, but, (I know, there's always a but!) after I drag the files onto the timeline they require rendering before I can play them. This is precisely the reason why I got this camera, because it is suppose to record in in Final Cut Pro's native MOV format and there's no rendering and trans-coding nonsense in the process, Just drag from the SD card and BANG! start editing.

What about the way we are feeding it the components or codecs is different than from those lucky enough to be working with FCP and not like me using FCE? Can we fix this?

BTW, in the OS folder window in the preview it still wont play the video just the sound. Not much care about that since I just want for it to play on FCE without rendering.

Like I said you've gotten me farther in a few hours than I have in 3 days, so I will still click to pay for this answer, but if you can push me over this hill it will truly fulfill the reason for me getting this cam.

A million thanks!
There isn't a way to get around it rendering, other then getting FCP, sorry.