Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi, I work on a mac and recently received a resume from a professional

Customer Question

Hi, I work on a mac and recently received a resume from a professional writer. I got pop-ups that said it contained macros that could have a virus. I spoke with apple tec support, uploaded avast and did a scan that came up with virus MW97: Thus Family for any word document that I had opened and re-saved since the problem started. I put the word documents that avast labeled with the virus into the quarantine chest and did another scan which reported 0 viruses. If I create a new word doc and try to save it, avast is telling me it has a virus and my hotmail and gmail accounts will not allow me to send it or any word document reopened and re-saved since the problem started. I can send previously created documents that I haven't recently re-saved or non-word files. According to the the apple tec guy this formatted resume must have introduced a macro that my mac sees as a virus, but it is not. How I fix this problem? Lorle(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Do you need to send this file to a Windows user?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Of course, most everyone is a windows user. At this point in time I can't create and send any word document to anyone since my gmail and hotmail systems won't allow me to - claiming the documents contain a virus. Lorle
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
So new documents are also infected?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, new word documents. It does not seem to affect excel documents.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I suggest you get the pro version of Avast or some other like

they come with start up disks that should clean those out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to the site and read about the product. I didn't see anything about macros. How do you know that it will help if the problem is not a virus? If it is really (as the apple tec support manager said) a question of labeling unfamiliar formats as a virus, then what can an anti virus program do? Lorle
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What program told you it was a virus to begin with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I uploaded one of the documents that I was unable to send via hotmail or gmail (because they said it had a virus) to the site and the report said it had the virus. So I downloaded the avast program from the apple site and the report listed the documents that were "infected with the MS97 Thus Family virus. This was every document I had opened and resaved since the problem started. I put hose in the quarantine chest. Have you read my comments. I explained all this already. Lorle
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
You said "I got pop-ups that said it contained macros that could have a virus." you didn;t say where the popup came from. Intego has a free trial here:

repair is de-activated but if it finds them it will be able to remove them if you buy it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mike, I downloaded the antivirus program you recommended, but I don't think that is the answer. I already ran the avast program. It identified the same files as infected and quarantined them.If it's not a virus, how will it help? I dont want to spend $60 for the complete program to "repair" a virus, if it's ot a virus but simply a format that Mac doesn't recognize. I kept having problems with all word documents and I kept getting pop-ups talking about the template normal. I saw that one of the files in the quarantined area was labeled normal (which was not a document I created, so I took it out of quarantine and put it in the trash. Now I can create, save and send a new document, as well s any un-infected ones. But we have not solved the problem with the formatted resume I received that created the problem. I still can't open the original and send it, which is sort of important, since I need to find a job. I would love to know what you think I should try? Lorle
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Can you upload the word file to my FTP?

Go here and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file?

username: justanswer
password: macmedic

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 3/21/2010 at 4:08 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I uploaded to you FTP both the resume that has been quarantined (Resume.Lorle) by the antivirus program and a newly downloaded version or the original from the writer that I can open, save and send without any problems since I trashed the quarantined file "normal." I also sent that second document to myself and when I tried to open it, I got a pop-up that says: there is no default appliation specified to open this document (resume 3-22). Trashing the "normal" file helped but we still have a problem here.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
The 3-22 version opened fine no virus warning. The other one was blank. So what exactly is happening since you deleted the Normal template?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's odd that the other was blank. It did say that connection failed when I tried to upload it, yet I saw it in the list of documents in your FTP. Well, at this point I have figured out a way to use the quarantined documents. I move them into trusted files, cut and paste the text into a new document and resave with another name. It seems to work. I can create, save and send a new document without any problems and even upload the original resume to job sites. Although I have a feeling we didn't get down to the bottom of the problem, at least for now I can do what I need to do. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks.